The Question Review

Released: Aug 2, 2005
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative CCM, Alternative Pop/Rock
These guys are really talented they put a lot of poetry and emotion into their songs.
 9.8
 9.5
The Question Reviewed by: _RockOnForever_, on august 12, 2005

Sound: There's no doubt Emery has an exceptional talent in all aspects that make up this six-piece band - vocals, guitar, bass, keyboard, and drums. While the incredible hardcore-styled rhapsodies play on, vocalists/guitarists Toby Morell and Devin Shelton squeeze every ounce of passion in their songs by either perfectly complementing each other's vocal abilities to create amazing harmony and melody or screaming their lungs out to inject a dose of emotion. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very much in the style of Emery. Meaning and emotion is packed in every available line, resulting in those smart phrases ("We're just the boys and girls that think they always know/with answers for the world/the ambiguity shows" - So Cold I Could See My Breath) reminiscent of the bands first album ("Certain death/lingers on the other hand/but I will fight you and victory will be mine in the end" - Under Serious Attack). As previously stated, vocalists Morell and Shelton hit the listener with an extra dose of emotion in their singing techniques, forsaking the all too familiar "whiney boy" style common among most emo bands today. // 10

Overall Impression: If The Weak's End didn't show that Emery is not like any other emo/screamo band, then The Question definitely does. Every song on this album is unique and each deserves a listen. There's definitely nothing to hate about this album. Even if you don't like emo/screamo, listen to any of the songs on The Question and just try to say that they're terrible. // 10

The Question Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 18, 2005

Sound: I've been a fan of Emery since the beginning, and I'll tell you off the bat that this music is unlike anything you've ever heard. They take a bit of the hardcore edge off of their sound, and the results are astounding. It is emo by its very definition, which is arty punk. The vox provided by Toby and Devin are passionate sans the prevalent screaming of the last album. // 10

Lyrics: Emery has ventured into a lyrical universe that few CCM bands have dared to go. They actually go out and slam Christians (teens in particular) for the image they've created for themselves (check out "Listening To Freddy Mercury"). They also tackle issues of sex and other stuff like that. This is not your parents' or older siblings' Chrisitan rock! // 10

Overall Impression: Easily the best album I've heard all year, by heads and shoulders. If Emery's previous cd was too loud for you, you're bound to like this one. It's more passionate, the lyrics less cryptic, the musical arrangements more dreamy. Overall an awesome-beyond-awesome CD. In my Top 5 all-time favorites. // 10

Comments