The Eminem Show review by Eminem

• Released: May 26, 2002
Eminem: The Eminem Show

I was curious to see what made rap popular when I took a listen to my brothers copy of "The Eminem Show." After I listened to it, I was surprised. I grew respect for rap. I was also curious to see if they would actually post a rap revue on a guitar site. The music on this album is very well done. Great studio work was put into this album. For some good examples of the musical quality of the music Eminem raps too, listen to "Cleanin' Out My Closet" and "Hailie's Song." I rated this CD based on a different kind of scale. I was looking for background music that would be good even without Eminem rapping to it. With some of the songs on this CD, you can tell what it's about and get almost the same feeling from the music without the raps. I did not rate this on instrumental quality.

I cannot even believe people can say this guy sucks. His lyrics are so honest and he words them so well. He's incredible. He tends to tell to much in some of his songs, and I once again reference "Cleanin' Out My Closet" and "Hailie's Song," getting a bit too deep into his personal life than his audience should be. But that is what makes his lyrics so great. His songs have a lighter side too, and can be pretty funny. But even in these "lighter side" songs such as "Without Me," he is still giving out his F*** you's. Don't even try to question this guys talent and bravery.

Maybe you shouldn't buy this CD if you're a rock fan. It doesn't do the same to me that rock does. It does something though. There was one song that I just hated, and that was "Superman." I advise you not to listen to that song. Plus, some of the skits were pretty confusing. But otherwise, great rap CD. Never before have I heard such personal, heartfelt, and honest music.