Carmine Meo review by Emma Shapplin

• Released: Sep 15, 1998
Emma Shapplin: Carmine Meo

I bought this disc on spec with a lot of others and when I played it I thought what a bargain it would have been at almost any price. It has rapidly became a firm favourite to which I listen each night as I drift off to sleep. It is by no means a lullaby but I find the combination of music, choir and Emma Shapplins voice so mentally soothing it acts in the same way. I am not happy that some opera buffs want to pan the voice. This is not opera, just an unclassifiable perfomance that produces a sensation of pure pleasure. It lets you float along with it: no matter if you do not understand any lyrics. It is the sound which stimulates the senses. This may seem a strange contrast bearing in mind what I said at first: a performance which stimulates me to sleep! I know that sounds a bit contrary, but believe me, I really want to listen each time I play it, but I am now so used to it that sleep is almost induced by hypnosis. I fall into the performance which carries me into the fantasy which it produces.