Carmine Meo Review

Tones: Detached, Refined/Mannered, Romantic, Ethereal
Styles: Ambient, Club/Dance, Classical Crossover
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Carmine Meo Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Overall Impression: I bought this disc on spec with a lot of others and when I played it I thought what a bargain it would have been at almost any price. It has rapidly became a firm favourite to which I listen each night as I drift off to sleep. It is by no means a lullaby but I find the combination of music, choir and Emma Shapplins voice so mentally soothing it acts in the same way. I am not happy that some opera buffs want to pan the voice. This is not opera, just an unclassifiable perfomance that produces a sensation of pure pleasure. It lets you float along with it: no matter if you do not understand any lyrics. It is the sound which stimulates the senses. This may seem a strange contrast bearing in mind what I said at first: a performance which stimulates me to sleep! I know that sounds a bit contrary, but believe me, I really want to listen each time I play it, but I am now so used to it that sleep is almost induced by hypnosis. I fall into the performance which carries me into the fantasy which it produces. // 10

Carmine Meo Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Overall Impression: When I was young I used to listen to opera. It was not until a year ago when I heard Emma Shapplin that I grew a passion for opera. The single Spente Le Stelle from her album Carmine Meo best describes Emmas music. She takes opera classics and mixes it with pop and techno music to give it modern approach. Sarah Brightman, another opera singer, also mixes pop and opera. But Emma appeals more to the younger listener with her Sarah Brightman meets Moby sound. This girl can hit the high notes better than Sarah. Her sex appeal also adds spice to what was dull opera. Check out this album and you will have a passion for opera. // 10

Comments