Eternal Enemies review by Emmure

• Released: Apr 15, 2014
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Emmure: Eternal Enemies

Emmure. Emmure. Emmure. Emmure is back at it with their sixth full-length album. While some people will label this band as deathcore, some, such as one of my close friends, called it "beat down" and nearly ripped my head off for it. I guess that's what I get for talking to an Emmure fan. Anyways... my opinion on what Emmure basically is, is a cluster f--k of nu-metal influences with a hint of their own style of "beat down" brutalness. Okay... that may have sounded rather lame to some, but it's difficult to not hear the Limp Bizkit and Korn influences gathered up in this band. And also the near fact that Frankie (lead vocalist) draws influences from Fred Durst of LB and Jonathan Davis of Korn. The rest of the band is also influenced by Nine Inch Nails, and Converge. So really, I could see where all of these influences are coming from. I could somewhat see the NIN influence for the electronics (although Emmure doesn't really use them). I think it's mainly the spoken word thing that Trent Reznor does that may have an influence on Frankie. As for Converge, I could definitely see the influence, mainly because whatever Emmure does is ridiculous and chaotic (most of the time not in a good way though). All of this aside, what can we expect from this album? Well... we'll see. This album clock in at 45:03, so if you're looking for spending time on finding out yourself before reading this review, you might as well do so.

The first track, "Bring a Gun to School," or as iTunes version "(Untitled)," which is most likely labeled that way to not cause any offense. Upon listening to this track, I was expecting to be sickened after hearing the controversy between ex-rhythm guitarist Ben Lionetti posting a statement regarding his former band and addressing the track, calling Frankie a "disgusting human being." He has decided he may file legal action against the band, the label that holds them and their management in order to get back what they owe him and his brother Joe, a former drummer of the band. Of course, these lyrics, as seen here, may seem offensive, but in all honesty, this is in no way trying to encourage school shootings. Then again, I don't know Frankie, but I'm assuming that he's just trying to tell a story, and I really don't mind him doing that. After this song ends, it goes right into "Nemesis," one of the few listenable tracks on this album. Instrumentally, the only really good thing about this song is drumming. Mark Castillo, a former member of Crossfade, Between The Buried And Me, and also a founding member of Bury Your Dead, really shines on this track. Right off the bat after hearing the main guitar riff, the drums come rolling through (sorry, I have no idea how to explain drumming very well). At 1:47, as Frankie speaks, "This is my message to a dying world // I f--king hate you // You'll get what you deserve" the drumming intensifies. Lyrically speaking is just another letdown after letdown from Frankie. He repeats the same lines about 3 times after that.. talk about repetitive and boring. Also, you know he had an angsty childhood when writing lyrics such as:

"No I don't care what they want
I'll never be what you want me to be
Don't give a f--k what you think
Just get the f--k away from me."

"A Gift a Curse," probably this album's best track, not only isn't a terrible song lyrically, but Mark shines on this song once again.

"What I've done what I've seen
The lives I've touched, what does it mean?
Losing track of everything
I gave it all but what did I gain
And I don't care what waits for me
On the other side of life's release
Cause when I close my eyes your face is all I see
So even if I die I'll never rest in peace."

The next song, "E," is just annoying. I could listen to "Free Publicity" until the 2nd time I listened. I was just bothered when Frankie screamed the lines, "You f--king coward // Why don't you hate yourself?"

Wow Frankie, you're so thoughful. "You two-faced f--king coward // Why don't you say it to my face?"

"Most Hated" is just another bothersome, thoughtless, immature track that showcases zero talent, whatsoever.

"So you better what your f--king mouth
Before I put you on the f--king ground
B-tch.

"Yeah I'm the motherf--ker people always talking about
Aw sh-t
I see you standing, arms crossed, trying to stare me down
Get bent
So if you wanna see me fail I'll say it nice and loud
Eat d-ck
And you can hate me all you want because I don't give a sh-t."

"Rat King" is another listenable track, but just an okay track. I enjoyed "Girls Don't Like Boys Girls Like 40's and Blunts" at first for the heaviness, but the lyrics itself are pretty face palm worthy.

"I'm gonna f--k your pretty face
Try the cum, and tell me how does it taste?

I know exactly what you want, you f--king slut
Daddy doesn't love you enough
that you wanna get f--ked

You stupid f--king slut
It's no surprise, daddy doesn't love you enough."

"New Age Rambler" definitely wreaks some Marilyn Manson influence, regarding creepy spoken word. The last track, "We Were Just Kids" is the best track, guitar wise. These last two tracks, and "Rat King" sort of remind me of some of Bring Me The Horizon's material, in a way. And that's a good thing. It's not just open note chugs.

Let's just say this album could've been much worse. This could quite possibly be their best release. I know for certain that it was much better than their past two albums, but that's only because there's a few groovy tracks on this album. Frankie does an okay job with spoken word, but it just gets repetitive sometimes, The breakdowns really don't do much at all either. The drumming is great, but of course, a guy like Mark has exceptional talent from all of the other bands he was in before. The sad part is that he only has a few moments of where he shines on this album. If you've never listened to this band before, don't hesitate to check this album out. Just be aware that there really hasn't been any exceptional material this band has put out.