Eternal Enemies review by Emmure

• Released: Apr 15, 2014
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Emmure: Eternal Enemies

Emmure is a deathcore/nu-metal band from New York City that has managed to generate a fair bit of controversy in their couple of years on the musical circuit. Making waves (not in a good way) with their lyrics, Emmure always seems to find themselves in the news. The title of the opening track of this album is as controversial as any they have done before. Especially if you live in the USA, you can see how the title "Bring a Gun to School" might incense some people (a former band member called the lead singer a "disgusting human being" in response to the song).

For those who might be infuriated, you don't need to worry about the song getting popular; the first forty-five seconds are filled with annoying guitar feedback and the remaining minute is not anything significant enough to discuss at length. As much as I dreaded this, I am sorry to report that the rest of the album does not deviate far from this song in terms of actually attempting to do something interesting.

If you want a short review, the following quote from a previous review of mine by UG user jay3213 does a good job summing up the album:

"Sounds like every other Nu metal band to me... doesn't really stand out

Tabs

E:-00000300000-

-insert up and down scale here-

E: -00000300000-"

In reality, there is much better deathcore than this. This is also not to say that Emmure's entire catalog is bad. This album just happens to be. To go more in-depth, each song sounds pretty much the same, grounded in a chugging riff from the E string of a guitar tuned to drop-z before going to some sort of breakdown that continues the same riff, just at a different pace. Maybe we are meant to applaud just at the fact that Emmure includes breakdowns in their music. Basically, their breakdowns are some of the most uncreative things that I have heard in music. Again, it is not that breakdowns in general are uncreative, but rather that their breakdowns are uncreative.

Even the riffs that are not based on chugging, though they are few, do not exhibit much creativity; they seem to be just trying to fill the space instead of being productive. Some of the guitar work is adequate, like on "A Gift a Curse," but most of the time, the guitar work can be described as nothing other than mediocre.

Other aspects of this album are just as mediocre, if not more so. The drumming definitely shows less creativity than the guitar work. Whether it is the drums mirroring the guitars or vice versa, the conclusion is that the drumming isn't really creative; it seems, even if not so, to be a slave to the guitar riffs and breakdowns, not it its own separate entity. The production of the album, while not horrible, is no saving grace. The only thing that keeps this album even close to relevant is the couple of times when Emmure deviates from the standard chugging fare into something more creative like, for example, the last song of the album, "We Were Just Kids."

The vocals are the best part of this album, though that really doesn't say much. Lyrically, Emmure may drive off many with discussions of suicide, the aforementioned topic of murder, and above all, the constant degradation of being human. Those not driven off by the lyrics will find that the vocals show some creativity and variation, but not any more than the average -core band.

The clean vocals, when present, are okay, as are the growls, but nothing could be considered above average. I guess one could say that the guitar parts and the vocals are interconnected; they feed off one another. Still, this relationship is not significant enough to warrant significant attention.

Overall, I am disappointed with the apparent regression in Emmure's songwriting skills. While this isn't the worst deathcore album I've heard, it is nowhere near good. Emmure manages to keep this album above the trash heap by including little shards of creativity here and there with some interestingly melodic chord progressions. But in the end, the monotony of 95% of the album is just too much to bear.

In essence, I wouldn't recommend this album to a friend and if it was lost or stolen, I would not buy the album again.

MusicMan24
    It amazes me how bands like Emmure get signed, and how they're able to release 6 albums
    svelle
    Because they are the money printing machine for the bro-core scene. Just take a look at any mail order shop for the 'scene/hipster metal' audience, i.e. impericon, and everything you'll see is stupid sweatpants, wayfarers and snapbacks with emmure logos printed all over it.
    bifteksupernova
    I'd buy this CD so I could while my ass with the booklet. Can't believe these guys are still releasing music, GTTG is the only thing in their discog worth listening to, even then it's not great
    Iommianity
    If you've made a career telling people you don't give a **** (and I assume you pay Fred Durst royalties for doing so) chances are you give every **** possible. Where do people get this idea that sounding like a bitter douchebag makes you look tough? You're just people know how much things actually bother you. You picked on me in high school, years later, I wrote a song about not giving a ****. You say my band sucks and that you bet I'll write a song about not giving a **** about it, and I proceed to write a song about not giving a **** about it.
    Metallidethium
    You know, I don't know why I care enough to point out that their first LP was actually pretty good and their second LP, while a bit monotonous, at least showed some emotion and feeling because ever since Felony, they've basically just become a band interested in shock value and writing as many bro-core breakdowns as possible.
    Drake-sic
    The singer looks like if Fred Durst had a super spoilt arrogant son he would be this guy, who needs to prove that he's super heavy and not like his dad, that he's totally more br00tul and stuff...