Felony review by Emmure

• Released: Aug 18, 2009
Emmure: Felony

Emmure's 3rd full length release, Felony, is probably one of the best releases I have heard this year. After The Respect Issue (not very good at all) was released I thought Emmure was done with coming out with great albums. Boy was I wrong. This album catches your attention from the get go and doesn't drop you until the end. It probably has some of the catchiest riffs and vocal patterns Emmure has yet to put out. In your face crash chords, brutal breakdowns screeching vocals, awesome effects, and intense drums are found throughout the album. The production quality of this album is spectacular, you can hear every aspect perfectly and easily.

Frankie did a great job with the lyrics/vocals on this album. The highs are as good as ever and it seems as though the lows have reached a "lower than low" status. As for lyrical themes, Emmure has done it once again in coming up with a "Kill you first ask questions later" theme. There is something new here that has really never been seen in an Emmure cd before. Singing. I'm sure fans are going to be definately split on whether or not they like this new sound for Emmure, personally, I think they used the singing sparingly and effectively, making a great CD even better. In the song "R2Deepthroat" it looks as though Emmure responded to the whole Acacia Strain "Skynet" battle. The only downside of the vocals on this album are the abundunce of spoken word, in some spots it sounds a little too much like Korn, but its tolerable.

This is an incredibly empowering album (definately something to listen to while working out) and has A LOT of memorable riffs and vocal sections. Some highlights of the CD are "I Thought You Met Telly and Turned Me Into Casper", "R2Deepthroat", "Bars In Astoria", and "A Lesson From Nicole" to name just a few. There honestly isn't a song on this album I don't like. The only bad part like I said before is the Korn sounding vocals, but other than that this album is a PERFECT 10. If this CD was lost or stolen I would DEFINATELY go out and purchase it again.

Pretty_Much
    I just listened to the title track, and it was absolutly horrid. The guitars are so incredibly boring and vocals annoying.
    hairy-southpaw
    It should be a felony for Emmure to release albums. GET IT?!?!? LOLOlolo!!!!!1111 I MAED A FUNNI!!
    DaveManDave
    Heres a quote from Emmure's myspace which just made me chuckle "emmure not going to lie felony sucked, u guys are coming out with albums to fast, u are not taking ur time on perfecting the songs like no joke what like 3 albums in barley over a year u guys are going to burn ur selfs out," he then goes on to say that hes still a fan. This ****in chuggin bullshit is really pissin me off. Make some god damn MUSIC.
    jamsea
    This isn't even deathcore. It's just crappy. My little brother listens to these guys non stop, they're so freaking boring sounding
    SamuraiLP
    xDeathxMetalx wrote: you guys are rediculous, this album is amazing. its a complete new side of Emmure and they did a great job despite member changes and all. The Acacia Strain and Emmure are equal, neither are better. and they definately dont sound similiar, Emmure is more dissonant by far. anyways, this album is Emmures best. incredibly creative throughout.
    Oh my. Thats ****ing hilarious. They havent changed. Clean vocals isnt OMG NEW SIDE. the vocals are kind of terrible. And they still do the little techno screach when they arent chugging simplicity off of their guitars.
    Ghrim
    pretty much agree with all of the above....horrible and talentless.
    jacobthesnakeob
    to add to that, it makes me sick that bands like this find so much success with so much mediocrity when brilliant bands like the cambiata break up due to limited exposure and success.
    jacobthesnakeob
    not to be a dick or whatever, but emmure is one of the most talentless bands of our generation. why people even care about this band is way beyond me.
    nothingserious2
    Emmure should have just stayed as one of those "release one album and then disband," goodbye to the gallows was a solid CD. the respect issue was just boring felony is just annoying
    kerguitar08
    I always feared a day that a band mixed nu-metal and deathcore. Sadly, that day is here...
    schangatang
    emmure has gone downhill like goodbye to the gallows was a decent album. it wasn't revolutionary or anything but it was solid. but the respect issue and felony have been pretty brutal. (and not the good kind ;D )
    Scourge441
    UK4tw wrote: The Acacia Strain are a good solid deathcore band and 'Skynet' was a decent release
    The album is called Continent
    LouieKablouie77
    calling this band a deathcore band kind of pisses me off. there are no elements of death metal in this music at all these guys are metalcore IF that
    AntonTheCrazy
    HavokStrife
    Lohnanmilitia wrote: When are people going to realize that deathcore sucks!
    This.
    Paddles
    chugga chugga chugga pwee the worst offenders of a horrible trend i like the diss track battle though, it's nice to know that wigger slam bands are bringing back gangsta rap (because we all missed it very much)
    Pretty in Casts
    This band pretty much is today what limp bizkit was in 98. The lyrics are so rediculously adolescent and stupid, and the guitars are the most lame simplistic riffs made to appeal to suburban punkass little kids that want to swing their arms really hard. this band is pretty much Mindless.Talentless.Pointless.And just all around bad.
    pandaXcore88
    i like how i got warned for busting out semi-quotes from skynet. thanks scourge. haha. Scourge. Lifeflip. No care ever.
    voodoochile000
    emmure shmemmure and a terminated tenure. tender slender acupunctured blender. they blow like wind!!! :/
    xTJMx
    This album is a disaster. Probably the shittiest thing I've heard this year. Music was alright.(if your into emmure's previous shit) The vocals were awful. It sounded like a drunk ***** trying to sing or "rap". I don't even know what to call something that ****ed up.
    Eurasian_C
    If it's in response to Skynet, it's definitely a weak one. Like seriously, the writing is so ****ing weak. The music is even weaker. Vincent shouldn't even have to say anything because this "comeback" or whatever is absolutely nothing. Personally I really don't believe in musical beefs, I leave that up to shitty gangsta rap. But this is just stupid.
    Eurasian_C
    I just heard the title track and that was all I needed to say that everything about this album blows. The production is pretty bad, the vocals are too loud, the effects are way out of line, and most of all the music is just awful. The vocals are really annoying too with the spoken word. And whoever even tries to compare them to The Acacia Strain, oh goddamn how you are sooooo wrong.
    Ass_Goblin
    xDeathxMetalx
    hey there samurailp, how about you not talk to me like im stupid buddy. this album is a big change from the respect issue, and if your too stupid to relize that then thats on you. so that being said, blow me because im done with this.
    Slay 'Em
    You can't compare Emmure and TAS. This album was pretty horrible, and I'm a fan of them....
    xDeathxMetalx
    atlmetal
    Meh album, way more awesome when you're high. And can some one elaborate on the Acacia Strain "Skynet" battle comment? I googled and found nothing. Anyways, Emmure has some funny lyrics. Ask ya girl what my dick taste like!
    W R 3 C K 3 D
    This is an amazing CD, can't say that I like the singing but it is tolerable amongst all the talent in every song. Of course I'm more of a hardcore death metal/ deathcore fan so singing isn't really my favorite thing anyways. Another up and coming deathcore band you might enjoy if you like this CD is I Shot the Sheriff, amazing stuff.
    Disturbdkornkid
    Kind of redundant to say that don't you think? And no I'm not defending KoRn, I can't stand their last couple albums. As for Emmure I haven't heard anything from this, but if it's anything like their last few albums, most if it will sound the exact same anyway.
    Scourge441
    Checked. Guys, if you're going to bash Emmure, either A) be nice about it, or B) give a reason why you think they suck if you want to be mean about it. I hate these guys as much as anyone, but I still have to enforce the rules. I'll be kind of lenient because the general opinion is negative, but outright band flaming is still going to get you a warning.
    Cafas
    I don't understand why people listen to Emmure, but eh...for boring, bullshit, by the numbers deathcore nonsense, there still has to be better than this, no?
    FELONY09
    ok the lyrics in TAS song skynet has no lyrics that are the same so **** that whole argument. emmure and TAS have been on tour together SO many times. they are both amazing. and emmure is the crazyest mixture of different kinds of music. and now that they have actual vocals all its doing is showing how good they realy are and that they can make just about everything work. so FUCK OFF about the whole felony sucks thing. they have advanced alot and are getting even better. although i do agree that the respect issue is dissapointing compared to goodbye the the gallows and felony.
    Zodijackyl
    Memorable and catchy riffs? There are no riffs on this album, just downtuned power chord chugging.
    the agony scene
    synestershadows wrote: why cant this band take a break between albums. 3 full lengths in 3 consecutive years.
    Because they dont know how long chuggathons will be the in thing. thats my theory.
    SamuraiLP
    Some people like more in their music. As for those that dont, enjoy I suppose.
    voodoochile000
    AntonTheCrazy
    Ass_Goblin wrote: AntonTheCrazy wrote: how is the review biased? honestly when i first heard emmure i thought they were horrible... and i also will admit that they are not a "wow that was so technical and full of talent" band. theyre more of a "wow i can totally see myself punching someone really hard to this" band. and this is actually one of the few deathcore band ill listen to that just does the chugs and such. im more of a progressive/techncial/melodic death metal guy but this album did impress me compared to their other releases. as for the TAS skynet thing. rumor has it that the lyrics in the song "skynet" is about emmure trying to copy off of TAS's style of music, although TAS has denyed it in an interview, you must say its pretty uncanny. and in my opinion it looks like the lyrics in "r2deepthroat" are a response to the song "skynet" by TAS yeah man i agreed with your review 100% i listen to opeth, dream theater, nevermore type of stuff when im not in a GRRRRR *roundhouse kick* type of mood. but every now and then i get in that mood and it just incredibly fun and entertaining to go balls out with bands like emmure. i do think this is their best album. its not that much of a progress seeing as its not even a year since the first release, however.
    The Spoon
    Usually, i'd give them props for probably being a fun band to mosh to live, but this is something that I wouldnt even find fun at a show.