Felony review by Emmure

• Released: Aug 18, 2009
Emmure: Felony

This album gets such a bad review, I thought that with my side I could offer something to think about. Of course I shall warn off Emmure haters from this point on cause you're just going to end up more pissed off. Also as an Emmure fan I try to be as objective as possible, and I could start off by saying as they say this is the worst of their albums, I think is the best, and I might criticise other works heavily. Here is my explanation. As hard as Emmure gets bashed by the general population (hehe) I think they're important points to be able to understand why this band is so popular. For starters... They make you move, they are simple as f--k. But I'm not here to defend Emmure. Previous works and also newer works have shown the consistency of Emmure as a band and their sound. No listener will have trouble identifying their sound. I see something important in this album, as its not really sonic or ambiental it is full of interesting sound both to please the ear and to please the feet. Here we have interesting riffs and tempos like in "I <3 EC2", "You Sunk My Battleship" and "First Impressions" and although we see a lot of that endless chugging and breakdown feel in songs like "I Thought You Met Telly And Turned Me Into Casper" we can see where Emmure put effort in songs like "don't be one". I do not suggest the music is progressive or technical at all, but really something different.

Voice is something essential in this album. And as much sh-t as Frankie Palmeri gets, there is no denial the guy has brought innovation with the "talking" in this genre, I wouldn't dare compare it to rap. Again the guy has an incredible guttural range. There is a lot of comparisons with Limp Bizkit in this album do to all the clean vocals, but some bald decisions where taken into the making of these, and I feel this actually gives the album some vibe. And as far as the lyrics go, yes prepare yourself for some ol' girlfriend themes as well as fighting, but we can find truly outstanding lyrics like in "The Philosophy Of Time Travel" and "I <3 EC2". If your looking for simpler, more sentimental stuff definitely take a look at "Lessons From Nichole".

In comparison to other works and taking into account the criticism of these, I dare say this is their best album. I take into account the criticism about the monotonous riffs & chugs, and the lack of creativity. I think if we put attention into this album we can see how far from this criticisms it is. (The whole "wigger" thing is just an aesthetic). I do however know that there was terrible mistakes into the album in songs so effortless as "I Thought You Met Telly And Turned Me Into Casper", cheesy moments "You Sunk My Battleship" (Frankie's singing) and just lame engineering in vocals as well as performance in the end of "I <3 EC2" or the end of "You Sunk My Battleship". There IS depth and emotions to be found in this band people... Listen closely. I talk good about Emmure because they do deserve some attention, I'll let the shit talking to other reviews. Here is the + side of things. Porque hablo de lo bueno primero.