Slave To The Game review by Emmure

• Released: Apr 10, 2012
Emmure: Slave To The Game

Growth isn't a term many would ever associate with Emmure, a band most commonly looked upon as a poor man's Acacia Strain. Yet, their fifth Victory album, "Slave To The Game", shows considerable growth for the breakdown addicted gents. No, they haven't abandoned the breakdowns, odd guitar effects, or demented vocals, but they make damn good use of all these qualities. The guitar approach this time is far more interesting, opting for Deftones-esque effects and leads over straight chugs. "Protoman" features a promising lead about halfway through, and "Umar Dumps Dormammu" has some killer filtered panic chords, making thr atmosphere behind the songs far more engaging. The drums aren't shabby, though lack too many interesting fills, and the bass constantly tries to fight to be heard above the onslaught, occasionally succeeding.

For those hoping for something new here, sorry, but Frankie is still Frankie. His lows are a bit more defined on the album, but his highs still have that gurgly sore throat sound. The semi rappy, whiny cleans that plagued "Felony" are back, but implemented in a more bearable fashion. Lyrically, again, this is still Emmure. Ex hate, violence, and offbeat nerdiness still own the lyrics page, so any person unmoved by their past lyrical output probably won't find anything to write home about here.

"Slave" is definitely one of the more interesting entries in Emmure's catalogue musically, showing that they may be willing to move away from just chugs and harmonics for future releases. Vocally, Frankie has never sounded better, but lyrically is just more of the same, and not nearly as varied as "Speaker Of The Dead" was. The album is a worthy purchase for any person looking for some simple, pissed off music, or some pretty sick breakdowns. But for those that don't enjoy those sorts of things, this album doesn't offer anything that might change your mind. Suggested tracks: "Umar Dumps Dormammu", "Cross Over Attack", "Blackheart Reigns". For fans of: The Acacia Strain, Deftones, newer Attack Attack!

EpiExplorer
    MT_Obsidian
    The best example of "bro-core" I've ever heard. This band is terrible. Seriously.
    the_skiv
    henkka_potku wrote: Isn't this the band that makes songs that are eternal breakdowns
    Can there ever been enough breakdowns??
    the_skiv
    Unskathed
    This album goes so ****ing hard. The breakdown in Blackheart Reigns is the heaviest thing ever.
    strat07
    never liked them from what i've heard i also never gave them a chance to hear any whole album and i won't EMMURE SUCKS!
    mynamehere040
    Anyone who heard Speaker Of The Dead prior to hearing this album would know that this is a huge change... I saw Emmure because they opened for Attack Attack! (hate on me all you want, I like them) and I hated them... Their lead vocalist was a douchebag who thought he could rap, the fans were hardcore d**ks who couldn't stop hardcore dancing long enough for a real pit to get started. One of them tackled me (not like moshing, just ran across the pit and football tackled me). It was bad. I picked up Speaker of the Dead because a friend recommended it and I figured I'd give them another chance. But this new album is a huge step up. It's still the same style. If you hated them before you'll probably still dislike them. But there's some level of musicality on this album, not just s**t vocals and endless breakdowns. "Protoman" and "Cross Over Attack" compared to their past songs actually demonstrate... I wouldn't call it talent, but something at the very least more entertaining, more diverse, more musical. Lyrically they're still total s**t.
    Battman1993
    Did a crackhead write their lyrics??!?!?!? Sample lyric from their last album: "I wanna watch you suck his dick." (Chanted over and over again) This band is complete shite.
    Magero
    Even I thought this was a boring album, and I've enjoyed their last few on a wholly unironic level. Probably some of the least interesting metalcore ever written.
    dedguy666
    I'm not a huge fan or anything, but I like this band. I like them a lot more than The Acacia Strain. Believe it or not, I may be one of the very few who prefers Felony over the other albums. I haven't had the chance to listen to this album yet, but if it's anything like an in between of Felony and SOTD, I'm sure I'll like it.
    vppark2
    the_skiv wrote: i must me the only one who likes them.. jus got this album then.. hope its as good as Goodbye to the Gallows!! Whats with all the hate for these guy?? ok yeah the lyrics are stupid.. But there fun.. n for the breakdowns.. i love breakdowns!! bring on the breakdowns!!
    but the lead vocalist himself sounds ****ing horrible..
    Ezio Auditore
    Boys. You can always dislike my comment but, i have to say that this band has nothing to offer in music. Really! We 've stuff like this a thousand times. Personally i didn't get bored of 'em. But, c' mon. The only thing they do, is to grawl in a stupid way, having breakdowns in the WHOLE song, and being awful lyrically. Just listen and think...
    Abacus11
    EpiExplorer wrote: Are they purposefully trying to bring back nu-metal? Its literally wiggers with 8 strings.
    HAHAHAHA yes! It's funny because, sadly, its true!
    vppark2
    the_skiv wrote: i must me the only one who likes them.. jus got this album then.. hope its as good as Goodbye to the Gallows!! but the lead vocalist himself sounds ****ing horrible.. Whats with all the hate for these guy?? ok yeah the lyrics are stupid.. But there fun.. n for the breakdowns.. i love breakdowns!! bring on the breakdowns!!