Speaker Of The Dead review by Emmure

• Released: Feb 15, 2011
Emmure: Speaker Of The Dead

Emmure are possibly most well known for their 2007 release Goodbye To The Gallows, looked upon as a metalcore gem. From that point on however, they have been displeasing fans with increasingly more mediocre albums. That trend has finally been broken with Speaker of the Dead, Emmure's 4th full length on Victory Records. The breakdowns are still there, but have much more atmosphere. The drumming is exceptional, and a little experimentation takes place in the form of electronic sampling. Speaker of the Dead may not be a complete return to form for Emmure, but if they proceed in this direction for album 5, the results will surely be promising.

Vocalist Frank touches some fairly interesting ground with lyrics this time around. Gone are the slews of hate and revenge anthems (while a few remain), but in their place he experiments with some fairly odd topics. Areas 64-66 deals with the possibility of extraterrestrial life existing beyond our own realm, and the first single "Demons With Ryu" is a tribute to the classic fighting game Street Fighter. A few songs reflect older lyrical content, such as Dogs Get Put Down and Drug Dealer Friend, but for the most part the band has chosen some far more broad subject matter to wail and bellow of.

The album shines best in the experimental breaks (see Solar Flare Homicide and Bohemian Grove), but the other material is strong and able to keep the listener engaged throughout the entire listen. Overall my personal favorite songs are Dogs Get Put Down, Drug Dealer Friend, Eulogy of Giants, and 4 Poisons 3 Words. I would definately reccomend this album to anyone that appreciates heavy, sludgy music a la The Acacia Strain or Legend.

barden1069
    Phe4rTheGod wrote: I was gonna give this shite band another shot, but after reading the other comments, I suppose it's safe to say that this is more of the same...lame, untalented, boring, Tool-esq...
    What? When did Tool release an album of pure breakdowns?
    AdenZerda
    Roflpwn
    Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, right? i didnt like the album.
    ProgJazzMath
    HAHAHA, did you just say Emmure sounded like Tool? What kind of drugs are you taking today man? I wouldn't mind taking a hit myself! There is no band that sounds like tool, let alone this deathcore garbage. Sorry for fans of these guys, but I can't stand them.
    Demonikk
    Figured I'd give it a listen, the missus wanted me to go to one of their shows with her. Fucking dreadful, even by genericore standards
    Metallidethium
    AdenZerda : I present to you: the UG review rating scale. 10: This is my favorite album. Never mind that I'm only halfway through my second listen. 9: This is pretty good! 8: This album is okay. It shows potential for their next projects. 7: I don't like this album. 6: This album is terrible. The scale does not continue below 6.
    Could this BE anymore true?
    Disturbed_EMG
    Gives you a pretty clear indication about an album if it hasn't gotten a single positive comment yet. Also:
    No. Just no.
    Phe4rTheGod
    Mprinsje
    sometimes i like songs that are constant breakdowns. but i really hate the guys voice, it makes it unlisteneable for me. if i want to listen to endless breakdowns i'll listen to the acacia strain.
    Disturbed_EMG
    Shit. I refreshed the page and it wasn't there so I typed it again. Sorry, guys. No spam intended.
    Disturbed_EMG
    Bro bro bro bro bro. Listened to it. Didn't like it. Was it an improvement from Felony? Definitely. But that's not saying much. Was it actually good though? Not by a long shot. It's just the same old constant chugging (although there are some decent actual breakdowns) with the exception of "Last Words To Rose" which was almost a note for note copy of "Chicago's Finest." And "Words of Intulo" just screams "Tactical Nuke" except for the fact that it doesn't go for 6 minutes and is nowhere near as cool.