A Perfect Star Review

artist: Emo Side Project date: 10/19/2007 category: compact discs
Emo Side Project: A Perfect Star
Release Date: Mar 13, 2007
Genres: Emo, Acoustic, Indie
A guitar, keyboard, and computer is all Andrew McShan needed to record this amazing album.
 9.1
 9.7
 8.4
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
A Perfect Star Reviewed by: HawkaLuigi, on october 19, 2007

Sound: All the songs were written and produced by Andrew McShan in his room using nothing but his guitar, a keyboard, and computer software. That being said, the music quality is quite excellent, and the vocals melt in perfectly with the music to give you that "perfect balance" feeling when you're listening. The music is calming and peaceful, perfect for sitting around on a rainy day with nothing to do. One slight problem I have with the album how, is the fact that a few of the songs sound repetitive, although that's just my interpretation. I give the sound a 9 because of the excellent quality and mixing. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics play a huge part on the album. Every song is rich with imagery and passionate words that fill you with a stir. On the song "A Perfect Star", the wording used makes this album quite rich in my eyes: "You open your soft lips passably and press them against mine/We watch the ocean waves crashing in the moonlight/The breeze blows your hair around everywhere and I smile/But this is not a dream I've been awake for awhile." The lyrics definitely have a personal touch to them, as McShan pours his emotions out to the listener. The vocals are not too great, as a few times in the album he strains his voice in order to hit higher notes and barely makes it, but the lyrics mixing in perfectly with the music makes up for his singing. 10 for 10 I say. // 10

Overall Impression: I have to admit, the album was quite impressive. The lyrics were amazing, and the guitar fit in along almost perfectly in each song. It was a fresh taste to hear from a single voice in the music world, or, if you'd like to make it a closer connection on the Ultimate-Guitar site. Yeah, you heard me. This album was created by a certain user on the site, whom I will not name. If it were to be somehow removed from my computer, I would definitely download it again, for free at the Last.fm page made for the band. This is probably one of the first reviews that Ultimate-Guitar has done for an unsigned artist, but it will not be the last. Look forward to more unsigned artist reviews soon! // 10

Comments