Ensiferum review by Ensiferum

• Released: Jul 18, 2004
Ensiferum: Ensiferum

Ensiferum, for anyone who didn't know, play a brand of Folk/power metal with extreme vocals. This is their self titled album and the best record they have ever done. Not a lot of people know the history of the band, so I'll do a short recap. They've released three albums (s/t, Iron and Victory songs) and they are responsible for making this reviewer do little jigs everytime he does housework. It's probably my favourite CD along with Gamma ray's 'Somewhere out in space'. It's pure escapism, the way music should be. When they released their second album, Main vocals/lead guitar playing Jari Whatever you call him left the band to start up his own project, the self proclaimed Epic winter metal outfit, Wintersun. The sound of this album is huge. Production is amazing, strangely it has better production than either two albums released in it's wake. Ensiferum's sound is a culmination of what is good about folk and power metal with some cream on the top. Clean Vocals, Harsh vocals, Chanting, heavy riffs, melodic breaks, this album has a lot of musical ideas. And they are all executed so well. Coming from an avid hater of most Extreme vocals, I'm impressed by Jari's Punchy Growl. it's a very high sound he makes, and his clean vocals are awesome as well.

My favourite tracks as follows. Hero In A Dream - totally in your face track but melodic at the same time. Verse riff is a palm muted, Hetfield type affair. If you don't like the lyrics in the chorus you are probably dead. Its a very well structured song, has a lot going on and its all brilliantly executed. The solo shows promise of what Jari can actually do on guitar, well before the his manic solos on the Wintersun album. Token Of Time - very, very folky mid tempo track.One part of it bursts into a little Jig section which always make me want to dance. Ahem. The lyrics are typically insane ('I shall fight to restore the moon!') A Great Track, the mixture of clean vocals alongside growled works very well. Guardians Of Fate - another song in the 'Fry your ass off' collection, this track completely rips. The pre chorus has a huge viking riff, it fits in so well with the song despite it being a slow point in the song. Chanting ensues, it sounds like something you'd hear a Irish pub band play. Little Dreamer - mid tempo. Quite melodic and has excellent vocals and lyrics. Verse riffs use some tremelo picked ideas. The drums hook in well in these sections. Windrider - a bit of a grower this one. I didn't like first of all but listening to it a few times, it's probably one of the more stronger tracks on the album. Many different sections including two very melodic bits (the last one being fantastic). The lyrics are very strong, for some reason it makes me think the Windrider is an undead Viking Warrior, driven by revenge. Its probably not even about that, the mind wanders. Treacherous Gods - 'The land is silent, before the storm!' And with that Battlecry, the kickassery commences. I love this song. Absolutely adore it. The lyrics, the vocals, the riffs. It has a fast section at the end of the track, if you fail to be impressed by it you shouldn't be listening to music at all. Makes me want to unleash the 'Inner viking' and fight mighty gods. Eternal Wait - ballad like song. Vocals are astounding, heavenly layered choir type effect with male and female voices. Sounds very 'Greensleeves' at the start of it. Awesome, plain and simple.

Without a doubt, if you are going to buy an Ensiferum album, buy this one. It is a great introduction to their somewhat tiny catalogue. The only things wrong with it is one track I haven't mentioned. 'Old man' is a pretty good song but not my cup of tea. Very slow in places but I can see how others would like it. All the other tracks I haven't mentioned are wonderful. Battle song and Abandoned are powerful tracks. Probably the best album of all time. If you are a would be Warrior who likes Turisas, Eluveitie and Finntroll, then you probably own this. If you don't you have no excuses. A gem. I would buy it a million times over. Plus it is great to wash dishes to.

flemflames
    It's Spinefarm Records.
    Nirvanarien
    thrashnmosh782 wrote: i thought that battle song was off of this album?
    Yes it is... Battle Song is from Ensiferum but there is an song on Iron called Into Battle, but Battle Song is of this one idd
    6StringedSavior
    viking metal has a few elements that make it viking metal. these include: -the note progression -lyrical influence -country of origin -use of classical instruments such as violin or accordian (these arent used as much in ensiferu, but more-so in other VM bands) -and yes the chanting stuff is a viking metal thing.
    Nirvanarien
    as far as i know its called like that becasue of its origin (northerend Europe) lyrics and the whole chanting thing.
    archangelseren
    where did the term viking metal come from? i just find it funny. are the band members vikings or live by that religion to somewhat
    tncbostave
    i love ensiferum, first song i heard was one more magic potion, i got instantly hooked. This is probably my favourite album too, cause it has all my favourite songs on it: little dreamer, guardians of fate, token of time, Etc. I think petri isnt too bad(like his screams), although jari was far more talented on guitar than petri.
    Jonjy2
    Ensiferum FTW. Thank you for reviewing this, just reminded me of it, I'ma go listen to it xD
    Maggot3000
    This is my favorite ensiferum album, i highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about buying an ensiferum album. This is one of the few albums i can play from track 1 to the end, and know most lyrics, and enjoy every song.
    Viking_Swede666
    TomD03 wrote: flemflames wrote: georgez wrote: ironmaidendude : Awesome album! P.S. It's not Spikefarm, it's Spinefarm yes IT IS really Spikefarm. It's Spinefarm Records. Spikefarm is a subdivision of Spinefarm reserved for Finnish bands. Thank you, now shut up
    exactly. I hate it when people state things that are off. anyways...Ensiferum kicks major ass. end of story.
    TomD03
    flemflames
    I just checked. Ensiferum are signed to "Spinefarm Records" but they are part of a subgroup called "Spikefarm Bands".
    Cobalt Blue
    I'm not a huge fan of the genre. But I was asked to learn Treacherous Gods for a jam and I thought it kicks some ass.
    ordinary_story
    soulflyV wrote: apc--ibanez wrote: poor album Fail. This is an awesome album.
    +1. Their Best album imo... and one of the best in Viking Metal...the best being Liar Flags by Runic..
    Blas3
    This one is really their best album, although they have some good songs on the others as well. I can't wait to see them in April ... again For the 3rd of 4th time
    Metal_stuff
    This is a really great album. Really nails the Nordic/Death metal mixture. Check it out Lads
    OrdoAbChao
    Wow, major failure.
    shredhexus
    Little Dreamer has the best melody line, in the second part of the intro. it's so catchy
    georgez
    sTx
    Token, Hero, and Dreamer - three tracks I've been in love with for 1.5 years!
    TomD03
    Great album Astounding album actually Stronger than Iron, though Iron has more songs that I listen to strangely enough.
    Quantonyne
    i cant wait to see these guys on april 29th...but this cd is Epic...it dosnt seem as technical as Iron but still freakin good.
    The Black Salts
    This review was pretty helpful. I didn't know that much about ensiferum other than Jari having once been in it. Will put this on my to buy list. Next to my ''to eat'' list.
    guitarist_2006
    apc--ibanez wrote: poor album
    this album is amazing u little dyke but i do enjoy the other albums more