Ensiferum review by Ensiferum

• Released: Jul 18, 2004
Ensiferum: Ensiferum

Well, Ensiferum play something called 'Folk Metal' which is a cross of Scandinavian folk music and Death Metal. When I first heard of it, I didn't know that that was what it was, but I thought two things: 1 "wow, This is really awesome." and 2 "whoa, this is weird. But awesome." Well, it turns out that those first impressions were 100% correct. Ensiferum is extremely melodic, complex, and interesting musically. The guitars have both acostic and electric sections, sometimes in the same song, and are executed expertly. The musicions all around are quite gifted. The drumming is excellent, complex, and in many places, quite fast. As for the bass, it is audible most of the time, and fits in perfectly with the songs, I couldn't ask more from it. The guitars are really fantastic, the songwriting in fact, is fantastic.It really seems old fashioned with the sound (midevil and stuff), and almost like jig music, except metallized. The sound of the music has a complexity and feel to it as though it should be played on a violin, however, the use of regular rock instuments, along with the keyboard, are welcome and don't sound out of place. The whole effect is rather overwhelming and powerful, and paints very specific scenes and mental pictures. It took me a while to appreciate all of this, however once I really got into it, I was blown away. The whole CD is quite good for learning to play these songs on guitar or any of the other instruments mentioned. Here is the track list: 01.Intro 02.Hero In A Dream 03.Token Of Time 04.Guardians Of Fate 05.Old Man (Vainamoinen) 06.Little Dreamer (Vainamoinen,pt.2) 07.Abandoned 08.Windrider 09.Treacherous Gods 10.Eternal Wait 11.Battle Song 12.Goblins Dance 13.Into Hiding I Recogmend it for anyone interested in melodic guitar parts, a midevil sound, and hoarse, deep vocals.

When I first listened to this album, I wasn't that impressed with the lyrics on it. I was, however, very impressed with the actual singing that was on the album, just not the lyrics. At first I thought it was all about fighting and dying, (mainly from songs like' Battle Song') but when I listened to songs ernestly, I found that I was wrong. While violence is found (again, 'Battle Song'), it is far from being a dominant theme, trust me. I was quite mistaken with my first assumption, I now wish that I had actually paid more attention to the lyrics on my first inspection. Now for the vocals themselves, sufice it to say, that they are incredible. The lead singer screams, yells, growls and even sings (that's right, sings!), all of which he does extremely well. The lyrics he sings are pretty legible throughout most of the album, with a few exceptions. I like this since I like the album more when I understand what it is about. I think that the best song that displays his singing talent is 'Eternal Wait', which is really an great song as far as lyrics and singing goes. So over all I give it a 9, higher if they weren't quite so repetitive.

This album is quite a favorite of mine. The pacing, ebb and flow, and feeling of this album work really well. I think all the songs are worth a listen, however, here are some of my favorites: Token Of Time Guardians of Fate Little Dreamer Abandoned Treacherous Gods Eternal Wait Goblins Dance Over all, I love it. I may not take it too seriously as far as lyrical content goes, but the same goes for bands like Iron Maiden, it doesn't mean that they aren't amazing bands. I don't really hate anything about this album, and I would really recogmend it for anyone interested (for learning on guitar too). They ask here what I would do if it got stolen, well, it can't be stolen. I borrowed it and put it on my itunes. But if my computer was stolen, I'd track down the dirtbags, shove tissues down their mouths until they gave it back, then burn them a copy of this CD because it is a great album. Overall Impression gets a 9, I give it this because it is not a masterpiece that will goe down in history as such (Master Of Puppets, Nevermind, Rein in Blood, ect.)that would deserve a 10, yet it is better than your above adverage 8/10 album.

GisleAune
    I've heard Dragonheads, They rock at that song, but i don't like the screaming sound on this album, it sounds so powerful and evil.
    Vulturus Rhythm
    How do my reviews get rejected when the ones that are accepted have many spelling and gramatical errors?