Victory Songs review by Ensiferum

• Released: Apr 23, 2007
Ensiferum: Victory Songs

I first heard of Ensiferum about a year ago, I was messing around on youtube and I saw a video set to this wonderful song. I inquired about it, and the video owner told me that the song I was listening to was Lai Lai Hei! I fell in love with that song. Anyways, earlier this year, Ensiferum released Victory Songs. This is the first LP that the new vocalist Petri Lindroos was on. His screams are very different from the former vocalist (Jari Maenpaa). I like Petris vocals more, they are screams, but they feel smoother than Jari's. The first track of the album is called "Ad Victoriam". It is a purely instrumental song, it sounds very much like something you would hear while playing Age of Empires. There are 10 total tracks to the new album, but there's one that stands above all the rest. "Victory Song". It is so creative and wonderful. It starts slow, with the midieval instruments, but then changes to the "heroic folk metal" that Ensiferum loves to play. It's 9:20 long, and every second is awesome. Other songs like Ahti, One More Magic Potion, and Deathbringer from the sky are also great songs. The song Ahti features Sami Hinkka doing low screams, which (to my knowledge) hasn't been done before. Sami's low screams combined with Petri's high screams make for an excellent song.

Well, bands in this genre don't usually have the most creative lyrics. As sorry as I am to say, Ensiferum lacks great lyrics. They're cool to listen to, but they have no real meaning. In One More Magic Potion, Petri actually screams "We knocked the door very loudly!" I was cracking up the first time I heard that line. The other songs don't deviate from this either. Many have strange lines that are just plain bad. "The guard woke up the sleeping men with the sound of a bronze horn!" Ok? I love this music, but the lyrics just don't quite do it for me. I feel like Jari had much better lyrics in their past albums.

This, by far, is my favorite album from Ensiferum. Markus Toivonen has some brilliant guitar solos, Petri's screams are awesome, the drums will pump you up so much, you mght have to tranquilize yourself. Brilliant music, bad lyrics. IMO, Ensiferum is the top band in folk metal. They dominate every other band in this genre and even some bands that are in similar genres (COB). They have taken their music to the next level. I think they've reached the ultimate goal for a band. They have made awesome albums in the past and they just released another awesome album without keeping the exact same sound, but without losing the sound of Ensiferum, the sound we know and love. The biggest downfall with this album is that it was very hard to get here in the US. I probably could have downloaded it for free from Limewire or something, but I love this band sooo much, I just couldn't steal from them. If you have this album, I love you. If you don't, get your ass off UG and head over to Ebay or something. I can't wait to see what direction this band will take with their next album. Peace.

BlackFire_
    Kevin67 wrote: Axis337 wrote: They aren't death metal, they are folk/viking metal. I think everyone should just shut the hell up with all this subgenre bullshit and call it metal.
    Just because you're too stupid to know subgenres doesn't mean other people shouldn't. Good review, it is something that belongs on Age of Empires haha
    Silent Breath
    Hey you people that love ensiferum join my group, The forgotten souls ill let anyone in that loves e'm Also... JARI ROCKS...and in there 10th aniversary dvd it would have been alot better if he was singing... not saying the other guy is bad he just cant play/sing as good as jari... he should have been in it ohh well...
    gojaromeiginla
    Shredder Guitar
    "IMO, Ensiferum is the top band in folk metal." are you guys challenged? he said they were folk metal in the review.
    ScrewYouAll
    HeavenlyVirus wrote: would you rather have an ultra-biased fanboy review? grow up. people have opinions
    Damn good point... Although no matter what people say about a band or an album, people will always ultimately believe what they like. As for Victory Songs... I like it, but I certainly wouldn't say it's my favourite Ensiferum album... I think their original stuff is best (ie the album Ensiferum). I think Jari brought a really good influence to their music and Ensiferum will never quite be the same without it. But, like someone said earlier, now we have Wintersun AND Ensiferum
    HeavenlyVirus
    bethroned wrote: First of all I'd like to say that I most hate people who are doing the review of a band that they even don't know as much... They are not death or black metal, they are viking folk metal.. And lyrics aren't bad at all, they are great! In fact they are fantastic... So please, next time you try to do a review inform yourself a little bit sou you don't F**K it up like this one! This review is full of shit!!!
    bethroned
    basisti69
    Haa etp oo ainut joka diggailee Enskaa! Mut oli Jari Parempi rkymn kuin Lindroos JA sit paitsi eka enskan levy on legenda, parasta. PS. Jos tykkilet tst nii kuunteleppa viel Equilibrium:ia! in English = I like Ensiferum too, but I think that Jari is better singer than Petri. And I like little more Ensiferum first album called Ensiferum. That Cd is Legend! Ps. If you like "Enska", you like also Equilibrium!
    britishblkMetal
    I still think jari is better than Petri though, But on the live 10th Anniversary DVD Petri does amazing!
    Omnislash502
    So, Judas Priest would be in the same genre as Necrophagist?? LOL.... I don't think so... Okay review BTW, Although I don't think their lyrics are bad... I would've gave em about an 8... and Iron is the best Ensi album IMO... Jari is also better IMO, but oh well! Now we have Wintersun AND Ensiferum!
    AJ_walker2603
    few probs with my above comment, should say "not what we decide to label the artist as" and "incredibly complicated" obviously! lol
    AJ_walker2603
    got to agree woth kevin, music is music, when people start defing their own music into sub-genres the whole music industry becomes incredible complicated. Ensiferum kick ass, who cares what genre they are, what matters is they sound good, and the sound is the most important thing in music, not we decided to label the artist as.
    Kevin67
    Axis337 wrote: They aren't death metal, they are folk/viking metal.
    Nirvanarien
    gojaromeiginla wrote: I think Jari brought a lot more to Ensiferum than Petri. I think this is mostly true if you look at their other projects. Norther (Petri) is basically a semi-successful COB wannabe, whereas Wintersun is just simply amazing. I rest my case.
    I smell something.... is that.. no it can't be! yes it is! TRUTH! Petri is just a bad Jari/Alexi clone.... I mean in both projects hes just trying to be someone hes not... first with Norther being a CoB rip-off and now an Jari rip-off with this... and it isn't like i don't like Petri, i mean i listen to bot Norther and Ensiferum (both pre and postJari). But that doesn't take the fact hes an bit of an rip off...