Common Dreads review by Enter Shikari

• Released: Jun 15, 2009
Enter Shikari: Common Dreads

This album has been playing in a constant loop in my car since it came out and is not likely to stop anytime soon. It starts with the frightfully eerie title track that introduces us to a slightly darker Shikari. We are then thrown into 'Solidarity' which brings a more familiar trance sound with a sweet guitar riff underneath it. 'Step Up' does a similar thing and may lead one to believe that this album is actually going to be quite heavy, it isn't. From there on it tones down on the guitar riffs and the techno takes over, this is the new Shikari taking form. The synth has matured to a level where the guitars are almost unnecessary, merely backing up on this well developed programmed music. This is a good thing, it still sounds like them but a very progressed and improved version. The songs are well composed, well mixed and in general more developed than on TTTS. Prepare to hear 'No Sleep Tonight' on the radio, it is possibly my least favourite A) because it is for some reason really, really poppy and B) it has an oddly placed breakdown that doesn't fit the song at all.

The lyrics are a point of interest for many who wish to criticise this album. Whilst they are very good they are different from TTTS and bring with it the signs of a changing Enter Shikari. No more songs about aliens and sci-fi, this is a propaganda project for the Brits. Every song centers around either Bush, Blair, the economy, global warming or the war on terror. This bothered me at first and I can understand how it can put people off, it is no longer the 'fun' Enter Shikari. The lyrics can be a downer if you want them to be but if you can look past this small annoyance you can see the good in them and enjoy the music for what it is. However songs like 'The Jester' can be quite hilarious to listen to.

I love all the songs on this album but favourites are: 'Solidarity', 'Step Up', 'Wall', 'Zzzonked' and 'Hectic. If you LOOOOVVVEED TTTS then you, I think will love this too. There is more techno, and more spoken word, but less heavy-ness and less screaming. And still we will be here standing like statues.

prt1990
    XxDre09xX wrote: meh i can't get into the techno metalcore for some reason...
    Self-explanatory?