Take to the Skies review by Enter Shikari

• Released: Mar 19, 2007
Enter Shikari: Take to the Skies

Enter Shikari's sound is simply amazing. Combining trance/techno and hardcore to make the sub-genre or 'trancecore' is genius. I've been listening to these guys since they made thier original video for 'Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour...' and the thing that got me hooked on these guys is thier unique sound. This album, although recorded in an un-professional studio, still sounds polished and clear as day. The frequent drum and bass interludes bring the album together and make the listener feel energetic. On this album they have re-vamped a lot of thier original songs and made them sound more awesome, with more use of synthesisers and programming (e.g. Mothership and Return To Energiser).

The lyrics on this album are totally awesome. Some of the most impressive lyrics I have heard from the U.K music scene in a long time. Lyrics like 'A whisper from the wind, and I can't help but listen. A crashing of white waves, and I can't help but wonder.' Johnny Sniper really stand out to me. Rou is a great lyricist with an amazing voice. The lyrics fit the music perfectly and intertwine amazingly well. The bands vocals overall are outstanding with some amazing vocal harmony (e.g. Return to Energiser and Sorry, You're Not A Winner).

This album is on par with thier EPs, if not better than thier original recordings. Although the album does not have one of my favourite Enter Shikari tracks (The Feast) it is still the best album to be released this year, in my opinion. The most impressive songs on this album are 'Adieu', 'Johnny Sniper' and 'Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour'. I love the use of synthesisers and programming techniques (as I mentioned earlier). They really add depth to the music and make it different from a lot of the up and comming bands at the moment. Also, I got the limited addition copy of the album with a bonus DVD so it was really worth the extra 3 I payed with backtsage footage and live footage from thier show at the London Astoria. If this album was lost/stolen I would have to buy it again, definitely.

Toms' anominous
    woot first post yes buy this album everyone its a 10/10 i own and 'I R' too lazy to review it but go get it.
    ordino
    this album is THE BOMB!!! im surprised 'the feast' wasn't on it, i no it was only a b-side but everyone loved it. oh, and you payed 3 for the dvd!!! i only payed 1!!! awsome album
    Weirdcore
    Good album but it lacks alot of stuff for me it has no new content really and is filled with interludes that sound like Aphex Twin. But there is some catchy stuff.
    concept:one
    i love this album, but buy it rather than dowloading it, as there are a few little synthy bits tht dont get put in with thwe dowload
    MCRmartyn
    This is a realy good album. I was lucky enough to interview the band for my college radio station a week before the album came out. they were realy nice guys and even invited us to hang out with them after the interview. this is a Great album from a great new band!
    cheese_weasel
    This is a really good album, quite energetic in places. I only hope that they manage to convey that energy live as well. Seeing them at the Pyramids on the 28th. Anyone seen them and want to voice opinions?
    TOTAL_immortal
    it is a wonderful album. i had to download it since it doesnt come out in the US 'til may and i absolutely love it. i've been looking forward to it since last summer and it has finally come out. now i'm hoping for an american tour. that'd be sweet.
    Yrkuk
    Great album, most songs aren't new just remakes of the same song, but the trance parts are quite good, similer to some happy hardcore stuff. 10/10
    untitled1
    I bought it of the back off sorry your not a winner, the whole album is brilliant i play it when im in the kitchen at work and my su-chef was not happy at all but after a few tracks he also fell in love with it. its on constantly now! go and buy it!!!! 10/10 if not more =P
    ryda18
    Seen them live, got the CD. They are the most energetic band in the UK right now. The DVD doesn't really reflect that but they put on one hell of a show (Gloucester Guildhall, 25/1) I'll do a review at some point. well worth buying