Take to the Skies review by Enter Shikari

• Released: Mar 19, 2007
Enter Shikari: Take to the Skies

This isn't just any old album. This is an album that thrusts you straight into it's own atmosphere, trapping you within an abyss of two genres of music that have been merged in such a way it creates something epic. No band has fused trance and metal in this way ever before and, to be honest, it is absolutely genius. This compelling debut should not be missed by anyone as it has at least one song for everyone, whether it's the completely chaotic 'Mothership' or the relaxing acoustic 'Adieu'. So what does the album offer in terms of variation? Well to be blunt, the albm has just about every genre in the book, with the exception of classical. Every song has a hookline or some catchy tune, be it the synth or the guitar. As for musicianship, well, what can I say? They are evidently all pros at what they do. The music may not be technical as such but this album is aimed at a younger audience who just want to party and have fun. One of the most distinctively catchy songs on the entire album has to be 'Labyrinth': the synth is perfect to say the least, the chorus is catchy and the verses are aggressive but happy at the same time (happy hardcore). I could talk about how great this album is all day but, hey, I wouldn't want to spoil the experience for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of listening to this album yet.

The album's lyrics vary. Some songs such as 'Mothership' have very random/silly lyrics which may have deeper meaning. For example, in 'Mothership', the lyrics are about a person who had been abducted by alien. Of course, there is a more serious side to the lyrics in this album; 'Today Won't Go Down In History' has very sad, tragic lyrics about war and how an army is going to be wiped out and not remembered. Each song has clearly been thought about, as the aggressive lyrics are screamed (there are a lot of different screams on this album) whereas the nicer lyrics are sung.

With a highly unique sound, addictive songs, catchy hooklines, interesting lyrics and versatility all round; this album deserves no less than top marks all round. There is nothing to hate about this album; it is truly a perfect masterpiece. There is no doubt that if the album was stolen or ruined somehow I would definately get another one (I already have two of these anyways). If you aren't a fan of metal as such then I would suggest listening to 'Adieu', 'Jonny Sniper', 'Sorry, You're Not A Winner' and 'Labyrinth' as they ar Don't miss this!