Take to the Skies review by Enter Shikari

• Released: Mar 19, 2007
Enter Shikari: Take to the Skies

Enter Shikari come straight out of London with a face melting, hard hitting mix of hard metal-esque riffs, and techno synth that blends together, making this band innovators and trend setters. This album wasn't anything new to fans, who had already heard most of the tracks either on EPs or rough home recordings leaked all over the internet. What the band did, however, was remaster most of these songs, adding a hell of a lot more synth and dampening the metal-esque riffs. This is certainly a band for the new rave kids that seem to be popping up all over the place. They once said in an interview that their audience was so hard to capture because on the one hand, there were kids who wanted to mosh and get rowdy to the heavy hitting guitar riffs and screamo-esque vocals, and on the other, there were glowstick touting ravers, who were jumping around to the vibrant synth work. If you didn't know any better, you could easily think this band were a Japanese export, with their live shows based around the story of shikari, a warrior.

The lyrics are hard to judge. On the one hand, some of the songs, like 'Anything can happen in the next half hour' ave very well thought out, interesting, and gipping, lyrics. But songs like 'Ok time for plan B' have one line, repeated to death, making listening to the album frequently a hazard for the album's lifespan. The singer has the ability to belt out meaningful lyrics one second, and in the same breath unleash bars of raspy screaming vocals that capture an audience. My personal feelings towards these raspy vocals is that they take a lot from metal style vocals, but lack the depth. They cut across the top, giving you a glimpse of what could be.

I don't feel it is my place to compare them to any other bands, simply because I feel they're one of a kind. There is, however a Klaxon-esque feel to some of the tracks, especially 'Johnny Sniper'. Most impressive songs I would have to say are 'Anything Can Happen in the Next Half Hour', 'Johnny Sniper' and 'Sorry You're Not a Winner'. I love the pure innovativeness of this band, who seem to span genres. I hate the way that the screamy lyrics seem to lack depth, an also that I can't see this band progressing to another album. I feel that fans of the band have listened to this album to death, and if the album is nothing short of a masterpiece, it wont budge offf of the shelves.

patton1991
    wouldnt exactly call these innovaters , pitchshifter did this ten, fifteen years ago when they began mixin drum n bass n dance n metal , and they didnt have irritatin screamin and indie stylings. suprised no one picked up on that yet