Take To The Skies Review

Enter Shikari: Take To The Skies
Release Date: Mar 19, 2007
Label: Ambush Reality
Genres: Rock
Take To The Skies is a compelling combination of post hardcore, metal and trance, the result of which is a raw, uplifting album.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.1
 9.7
 8.5
 1,047
Take To The Skies Reviewed by: !Guitar-Hero!, on march 30, 2007

Sound: Enter Shikari are an exciting new band from the U.K. They combine elements of trance and hardcore to form a totally different sound altogether. Take to the Skies takes many songs off their earlier EPs and remixes them into a magnificient 17-track nasterpiece. There are 5 filler songs which are instrumental tracks or are intros into other songs e.g. before Mothership and Jonny Sniper. Here is my track-by-track listing: 01. Enter Shikari - a song used to warm up the crowd at gigs. Makes a great start to the album. 02. Mothership - already been realised onto the music channels and radio. Featured on an earlier EP of the same name. Remixed for the album like many other songs. 03. Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour - remixed as well, Made to sound a lot better than with the use of Synthesisers and better studio attention. 04. Labyrinth - remixed, Bit less 'shouty' than earlier versions and seems to be quite a bit slower than EP versions. 05. No Sssweat - quite good studio effects and well produced. Good new song with some catchy lyrics. 06. Today Won't Go Down In History - a relativly quiet song for Enter Shikari with more meaningful lyrics and smoother vocals. 07. Return To Energiser - very good re-recording of Return To Energiser with a clearer sound than before. 08. Sorry, You're Not A Winner - the song that broke Enter Shikari into the mainstream, Very Catchy and well-recorded. 09. Jonny Sniper - one of the most catchy and, In my opinion, best songs on the album. Very catchy. 10. Adieu - a tribute to Jonny Sniper. Very well produced with heartfelt vocals. 11. Ok, Time For Plan B - another good song. The simplicity of the lyrics only make it better. Overall, a very good mix of songs and styles. // 10

Lyrics: There is a wide mix of lyrics. Some songs lyrics are made up of a few sentences and words repeated. However, the simplicity of these make the songs even more attractive to the listener. But, some songs show how just a few short lines can add up to a beautiful song. These lyrics tend to be meaningful and heartfelt and suit the music in the songs perfectly. Rou's (lead singer) voice has so many different volumes and emotions. He can scream with the best of 'em but he can sing excellently as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Take To The Skies is a very good album and shows the prospering talents of a band who are on the short-course to the top. More albums like this will gaurentee to keep Enter Shikari on peoples favourite bands list for years to come. All songs are very good and everyone will like them in some way. However, the ones that really stick out, to me, are Jonny Sniper, Sorry, You're Not A Winner and Mothership. An extremely good album already recommended to all my friends now, I'm recommending them to you. You will enjoy this album. // 10

Take To The Skies Reviewed by: goth clash, on march 20, 2007

Sound: Enter Shikari's sound is simply amazing. Combining trance/techno and hardcore to make the sub-genre or 'trancecore' is genius. I've been listening to these guys since they made thier original video for 'Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour...' and the thing that got me hooked on these guys is thier unique sound. This album, although recorded in an un-professional studio, still sounds polished and clear as day. The frequent drum and bass interludes bring the album together and make the listener feel energetic. On this album they have re-vamped a lot of thier original songs and made them sound more awesome, with more use of synthesisers and programming (e.g. Mothership and Return To Energiser). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are totally awesome. Some of the most impressive lyrics I have heard from the U.K music scene in a long time. Lyrics like 'A whisper from the wind, and I can't help but listen. A crashing of white waves, and I can't help but wonder.' Johnny Sniper really stand out to me. Rou is a great lyricist with an amazing voice. The lyrics fit the music perfectly and intertwine amazingly well. The bands vocals overall are outstanding with some amazing vocal harmony (e.g. Return to Energiser and Sorry, You're Not A Winner). // 10

Overall Impression: This album is on par with thier EPs, if not better than thier original recordings. Although the album does not have one of my favourite Enter Shikari tracks (The Feast) it is still the best album to be released this year, in my opinion. The most impressive songs on this album are 'Adieu', 'Johnny Sniper' and 'Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour'. I love the use of synthesisers and programming techniques (as I mentioned earlier). They really add depth to the music and make it different from a lot of the up and comming bands at the moment. Also, I got the limited addition copy of the album with a bonus DVD so it was really worth the extra 3 I payed with backtsage footage and live footage from thier show at the London Astoria. If this album was lost/stolen I would have to buy it again, definitely. // 10

Take To The Skies Reviewed by: Shikari Hybryd, on october 12, 2007

Sound: This isn't just any old album. This is an album that thrusts you straight into it's own atmosphere, trapping you within an abyss of two genres of music that have been merged in such a way it creates something epic. No band has fused trance and metal in this way ever before and, to be honest, it is absolutely genius. This compelling debut should not be missed by anyone as it has at least one song for everyone, whether it's the completely chaotic 'Mothership' or the relaxing acoustic 'Adieu'. So what does the album offer in terms of variation? Well to be blunt, the albm has just about every genre in the book, with the exception of classical. Every song has a hookline or some catchy tune, be it the synth or the guitar. As for musicianship, well, what can I say? They are evidently all pros at what they do. The music may not be technical as such but this album is aimed at a younger audience who just want to party and have fun. One of the most distinctively catchy songs on the entire album has to be 'Labyrinth': the synth is perfect to say the least, the chorus is catchy and the verses are aggressive but happy at the same time (happy hardcore). I could talk about how great this album is all day but, hey, I wouldn't want to spoil the experience for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of listening to this album yet. // 10

Lyrics: The album's lyrics vary. Some songs such as 'Mothership' have very random/silly lyrics which may have deeper meaning. For example, in 'Mothership', the lyrics are about a person who had been abducted by alien. Of course, there is a more serious side to the lyrics in this album; 'Today Won't Go Down In History' has very sad, tragic lyrics about war and how an army is going to be wiped out and not remembered. Each song has clearly been thought about, as the aggressive lyrics are screamed (there are a lot of different screams on this album) whereas the nicer lyrics are sung. // 10

Overall Impression: With a highly unique sound, addictive songs, catchy hooklines, interesting lyrics and versatility all round; this album deserves no less than top marks all round. There is nothing to hate about this album; it is truly a perfect masterpiece. There is no doubt that if the album was stolen or ruined somehow I would definately get another one (I already have two of these anyways). If you aren't a fan of metal as such then I would suggest listening to 'Adieu', 'Jonny Sniper', 'Sorry, You're Not A Winner' and 'Labyrinth' as they ar Don't miss this! // 10

Take To The Skies Reviewed by: ShadowsThatMove, on november 06, 2007

Sound: Take To The Skies is by far one of my favourite albums of this year. This album is a mix of trance, rock, and post-hardcore music, which I for one never thought that it could be done. Throughout the album you get newer and better songs, each one having something you just love about it. 01. Stand Your Ground; This Is Ancient Land - this is a warm up to start off the album into the next song, a very good build up. 02. Enter Shikari - a great song which is incredible for the start of a gig. A lot of trance, fast drumming and screaming in this song. 03. Mothership - one of the best songs off the album, a song you can headbang to easily, and very heavy too. Starts off with some synth then just hits right into it. 04. Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour - another one of the best songs off the album, however I must admit that the demo of this song was a lot better as in this version the synth is overused and in the demo it's A LOT heavier. 05. Labyrinth - a pretty good song off the album, not too heavy but not too light. I felt that this song's sound wasn't right, the bass was far louder than the guitars and the screaming was a bit too loud. 06. No Sssweat - what can I say, this song caught me completely off guard when I first listened to it. Incredible drumming, amazing synth, just everything. The chorus to the song ended up making me listen to this song over and over and over again. 07. Today Won't Go Down In History - a terrible song, hated it completely. Takes too long to get into it, boring and dull. A big let down. 08. Return To Energizer - a great song off the album once again, very fast paced and full of life. The chorus was once again the thing that I loved, very catchy. 09. Sorry, You're Not A Winner - the best song on the album, without a doubt. The interlude before it to bring it into the song also made the song even better. 10. Johnny Sniper - a bit different of Enter Shikari doing something like this, when I first heard the start of it I thought it was a cheesy cartoon theme song. It's still a pretty good song though. 11. Adieu - an acoustic song off the album, and it's one of my favourites. A great one to sing along to and it actually picks up nearer the end. 12. Ok, Time For Plan B - I never used to like this song but when I seen them live I love it now. A song that'll take you a while to probably like. The gang vocals in it are incredible. I think that if Enter Shikari are going to do another album, they can't make it sound just like this album or they'll just burn out. // 10

Lyrics: I loved the lyrics in Take To The Skies. They went with the music perfectly and sounded brilliant. Each song is to do with something new which is always good, as you'll get other bands who will do an album all based on one thing (examples Bullet For My Valentine, all about heartbreak. Funeral For A Friend, their newest album is about the lead singer's fear of the ocean). However one thing that I couldn't help but laugh at was that Johnny Sniper was about Enter Shikari's old Sex Ed teacher. Hopefully you'll work it out. // 9

Overall Impression: This is definetely an album that people should go out and buy, it's well worth the money. The best songs off the album are Sorry You're Not A Winner, Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour and Mothership. I love how it's something I'd never listened to before, but the only thing I hate about it is that they'll probably make another album just the same as this one. It's an album I wouldn't buy again since I have it on iTunes; ) but if not then I would buy it again, yeah. // 10

Take To The Skies Reviewed by: hippytom, on january 19, 2008

Sound: Enter Shikari come straight out of London with a face melting, hard hitting mix of hard metal-esque riffs, and techno synth that blends together, making this band innovators and trend setters. This album wasn't anything new to fans, who had already heard most of the tracks either on EPs or rough home recordings leaked all over the internet. What the band did, however, was remaster most of these songs, adding a hell of a lot more synth and dampening the metal-esque riffs. This is certainly a band for the new rave kids that seem to be popping up all over the place. They once said in an interview that their audience was so hard to capture because on the one hand, there were kids who wanted to mosh and get rowdy to the heavy hitting guitar riffs and screamo-esque vocals, and on the other, there were glowstick touting ravers, who were jumping around to the vibrant synth work. If you didn't know any better, you could easily think this band were a Japanese export, with their live shows based around the story of shikari, a warrior. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are hard to judge. On the one hand, some of the songs, like 'Anything can happen in the next half hour' ave very well thought out, interesting, and gipping, lyrics. But songs like 'Ok time for plan B' have one line, repeated to death, making listening to the album frequently a hazard for the album's lifespan. The singer has the ability to belt out meaningful lyrics one second, and in the same breath unleash bars of raspy screaming vocals that capture an audience. My personal feelings towards these raspy vocals is that they take a lot from metal style vocals, but lack the depth. They cut across the top, giving you a glimpse of what could be. // 7

Overall Impression: I don't feel it is my place to compare them to any other bands, simply because I feel they're one of a kind. There is, however a Klaxon-esque feel to some of the tracks, especially 'Johnny Sniper'. Most impressive songs I would have to say are 'Anything Can Happen in the Next Half Hour', 'Johnny Sniper' and 'Sorry You're Not a Winner'. I love the pure innovativeness of this band, who seem to span genres. I hate the way that the screamy lyrics seem to lack depth, an also that I can't see this band progressing to another album. I feel that fans of the band have listened to this album to death, and if the album is nothing short of a masterpiece, it wont budge offf of the shelves. // 8

Take To The Skies Reviewed by: sexlove45, on june 06, 2008

Sound: These guys are from the UK and really have an interesting sound. I heard about them from a friend and have been in love with them ever since, truly a great band even though they are unsigned. They have electronics incorporated and just really great beats in every song. // 10

Lyrics: I thought that the lyrics and the singing were phenominal on this record. Rou has a really great voice and Chris is also an amazing backup singer and since he is English Rou has a very unique screaming voice that I love. Everything comes together in the songs and actually have something to do with the song titles unlike countless other bands. // 10

Overall Impression: To me, every song on this album was amazing and each had a different sound that kept you interested until the end. I can see that these guys are going places in the near future. Not too many people will know who they are when you mention them, but that will change in due time. I love that they are so different and full of energy and if it was lost I wouldn't rest until I got another copy, it's that good! // 10

Take To The Skies Reviewed by: alexander_MCR, on april 22, 2011

Sound: A game changer of sorts, "Take To The Skies" is. With sing/scream vocals so brilliantly done, massive songs that would demolish a building, fast, intuitive and sometimes tongue-in-cheek lyrics. The odd electronic moment which adds some great moments throughout the album, and main aspect of the bands sound. And some great grooves, beats, breakdowns and soaring vocals, and when combined you have the debut album from one of the best British bands in years, Enter Shikari. "Take To The Skies" debuted at #4 on the British music charts and one listen clearly shows why it was so popular! It has some themes throughout the album: Climate change and our destructive ways on our environment ("Mothership") Marriage ("Labyrinth") War and violence ("Johnny Sniper") Racial issues ("Sorry You're Not A Winner") And as opener "Stand Your Ground, This Is Ancient Land/Enter Shikari" kicks in you are pleasantly indulged and intrigued and when the destructive closer "OK, Time For Plan B" ends you have an epiphany that this is one of the best albums you've heard in a long time. And you release a breath of fresh air. // 9

Lyrics: "Stand you ground this is ancient land, i was guided here by the spirits hand". This is one great lyrical line that is continually followed by every track on the album. There is a level of creativity and adventure in Enter Shikari's music that so many other bands fail to capture. One song that will send your senses into a frenzy is "no Sssweat" which captures some powerful experimental hardcore like nothing before, this song is also a mosh-pit favorite. Rou Reynolds is not only a great singer but an excellent screamer, his wails are constantly a highlight and his growls are quite unexpected at times but without them the album wouldn't be as good as it is. Drummer, Rob Rolfe is to say the least brilliant, his grooves are defined and there isn't one part on any song in which his drumming doesn't feel repetitive or dull. Bassist Chris Battern sometimes his parts overshadowed by the keyboard/ electronic and vocals and drumming. But his backup vocals on "Mothership" are just amazing! Guitarist Liam Clewlow shows some great riffs on "Sorry You're Not A Winner" and "Johnny Sniper". // 10

Overall Impression: If you've heard their previous EP's "The Zone" and "Nodding Acquaintance" you'll see some similarities obviously, but also a more improved and polished sound, one that is constantly engaging and stunning. Every single track is a real standout! A MUST BUY!!!!!!! 10 out of 10!!!!! // 10

Comments