The Zone review by Enter Shikari

• Released: Nov 12, 2007
Enter Shikari: The Zone

So Enter Shikari are a band that comprise of many different elements: trance, metal, post hardcore. They fought their way through and broke into the public eye with some very intense touring and are now regarded as one of the best live bands around. This is a collection of B-Sides and Rarities, albeit a small one but at 8 Tracks (10 if you include the hidden ones) it still delievers on many fronts. It kicks off with the lively 'Feast' which is a gloryious blend of hardcore punk and synthlines. Next up there's 'Kickin' Back on the Surface of Your Cheek' which is a very good song with some very intense vocals. Keep it on Ice is next up which is probably my least favourite track. it's a more upbeat version of Adieu in my opinion which ain't neccessarly a good thing. Adieu (Routron 5000 Remix) is next and is a very good remix of Adieu but at 7 mins clocks in a bit too long. Sorry, You're Not A Winner (Zane Lowe BBC Session) is the next up which is one of the highlights of the album. it's every scenekids favourite song and is probably the only song they have heard from ES which is a shame. Still though this song is a very good version of SYNAW and shines through with the intensity of the lyrics and the instruments. Mothership (Demo) is the track that follows which has a hard act to follow but shines through. The rawness of the vocals and the synths come though as the Walk The Plank breakdown with the hardcore synthline behind it is just pure awesome! Acid Nation is a very upbeat song which should be longer than it is but when the synths kick back in when 'The Sun Is Out!' is great to see live. Enter Shikari (demo) is the album closer and is a very active ending to the album which is a very raw version of the song but again is very good.

The lyrics are very good and have some great meaning to them like: "I don't understand a word you're saying/What are the clouds running from?/There's something in the air tonight/Something is wrong, spit it out!" And that is just an example of the meaning of the lyrics which feature on 'Mothership'. Rous skills on vox as well are great and he can provide a range of voices as with is manical laugh on 'The Feast' or his down to earth vox on 'Adieu' and then his pioneering 'Inward Screaming' on 'Mothership'.

I don't think you can compare this to anything else as ES are just a one off band that have produced their own sound which is great and is a breaktrough for many small town artists. The most impressive songs are probably 'Mothership' And 'Sorry You're Not A Winner' which are just breathtaking and are even more breathtaking live. I love the rawness of the songs on the album compared to the clean production sound of 'Take To The Skies'. But I hate the fact that the choice of songs is poor in places. They have a massive back catolgue and could of chose songs like 'Score 22' and 'We Can Breathe In Space' which are much better than 'Keep It On Ice' and 'Acid Nation' in my opinion. I would recommend that any curious people that have only heard one song from ES (SYNAW anyone) or OTT fan boys like me for a collectors item as I already had all the songs on the album bar one 'Adieu (Routron 5000 Remix)'.

Metal_Rich
    josepharmillei
    frankibo wrote: its the bassist who inward screams. it sucks really bad. anyone can inward scream. you just breathe inwards next to a microphone...
    True that inward screaming is easy but the bassist sings the melodic bits of songs,just check out thier videos or go to see them live
    Main Idea
    This guy is telling the ****ing Truth he knows what he is talking about.
    j-walk wrote: SOme of you guys are ****ed! How can you not like these guys. They display every kind of style. If you dont like there screaming then you obviously don't like screaming so why the **** are you writing a review.
    needmoreshikari
    first off, take to the skies is one of the most innovative and unique cds ever recorded. and to complete that, Enter Shikari is one of the most innovative and unique bands to ever be around. anyone saying they're not original has either not heard all of their songs or have no perception of music at all . to say that they're selling out even, is an insult . this band can't sell out since they are a DIY yourself band!. Thats right, NO LABEL !...the only other band that comes close to creavity like enter shikari is Texas band Sky Eats Airplane. and it just so happens to be the two bands are amigos. wha'dya'know? rou is an amazing musician and is currently in 3 bands! (es, jbm, s&b) and the rest of the band is just as talented. you tell me that ending guitar part in "kickin' back" isnt awesome, I'll call you a fool. This band will tear the scene up for years to come, and I'm not a prophet, I just know this .
    needmoreshikari
    first off, take to the skies is one of the most innovative and unique cds ever recorded. and to complete that, Enter Shikari is one of the most innovative and unique bands to ever be around. anyone saying they're not original has either not heard all of their songs or have no perception of music at all. to say that they're selling out even, is an insult. this band can't sell out since they are a DIY yourself band!. Thats right, NO LABEL!...the only other band that comes close to creavity like enter shikari is Texas band Sky Eats Airplane. and it just so happens to be the two bands are amigos. wha'dya'know? rou is an amazing musician and is currently in 3 bands! (es, jbm, s&b) and the rest of the band is just as talented. you tell me that ending guitar part in "kickin' back" isnt awesome, I'll call you a fool. This band will tear the scene up for years to come, and I'm not a prophet, I just know this.
    Sammoo
    Nodding Acqaintance
    j-walk
    You people are ****ed. This band is the new shit. They have every different style out there.
    josepharmillei
    Shikari Hybryd wrote: lol Chris does NOT scream. He just sings. Get your facts right before posting!
    Truth.
    frankibo
    BuryMeInBliss
    olimajor123
    Shikari are one of the most innovative bands of the last few years. Metal isn't all about solos, I respect the fact that they don't try to go over the top with the guitars cos they know there is so much more to their music. They are also an unbelievable live act and you will rarely see them turn down a gig.
    Josola
    Seroiusly Rou doesnt inward scream.....Enter shikari dont suck if you have seen them live then you no its a night to remember cos it was ****ing awesome and that is that
    josepharmillei
    Lets get some stuff sorted here....
    Metal_Rich wrote: Inward screaming was pioneered a hell of a long time before this band were around...
    Before you make a comment like this I advise that you state which band pioneered inward screaming. And you probably think that ES were formed like last year or something when infact they have been around since 2003.
    Ibanez_Tom wrote: Enter Shikari are terrible... since when was real music about vomitting into a mike and pressing buttons.
    You my friend are just like one of my 'Traditional' musical types of friends who spends too much time living in the past and still thinks that metal ain't metal unless it has a '15 minute solo' (No Offense To Metallica)
    treflip wrote: They're just a shitty version of Horse The Band.
    Fuck knows where you got that from mate... Been looking on last.fm eh? Try and find one ES song out of their whole back catologue that features game boy samples and I will give you one hell of a pat on the back! Go and see this band live and I defie you to call them shit!,15 in and a lot cheaper than other bands who have made it and just rip off tried and tested genres of music.... Thanks A Lot For Reading My Review! Joe.
    monkeysoup
    This band is ****ing awesome they sound so diferent from most other bands i listen to even though a lot of there songs sound similar they're baller
    Shikari Hybryd
    This band is ****ing amazing, and this album is incredible...10 tracks (yes 10, there are bonuses) for a fiver! Shikari aren't shit at all, they are versatile and make catchy songs, what's wrong with that?
    guitarist41
    I've tried to get into this band about 3 times, cause alot of other people seem to be really enjoying them...but I just can't...It's definitely no ''what i'm into''
    Ibanez_Tom
    oh... THAT guy
    flea878 wrote: BuryMeInBliss wrote: Yeah, and hes probably going to get vocal nodes too - uncool. ALso, they arent really that interesting - i used to like them a lot, now all their songs sound samey and uninspired. Yeah fair enough, that can happen after awhile if you like a band and listen too them a lot. But when you first hear shikari, they are really ****in interesting. Its the bands that sound samey and uninspired the first time you hear them that i would regard as uninteresting though
    The First Time I heard Them I Thought They Were Just Trying To Appeal To A Mass Market... And I Still Do.
    flea878
    josepharmillei
    Sammoo wrote: Try and find one ES song out of their whole back catologue that features game boy samples Nodding Acqaintance
    lets see what you know about chiptune? whats lsdj you ****tard? please please try and have remotely some knowledge about chiptune before you come out with that BS-ing. and if you think i don't know anything about chiptune then check out myspace.com/joedouken over 9000 hits at the moment =]