Casualties Of Retail Review

artist: Enter the Haggis date: 06/20/2005 category: compact discs
Enter the Haggis: Casualties Of Retail
Released: 2004
Genre: Rock
Although the songs are primarily a fusion of Celtic, bluegrass and rock, elements of Latin, blues and funk can be heard throughout the record.
 8.7
 7.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Casualties Of Retail Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2005

Sound: When you take a drummer, a bassest, a guitarist and throw a fiddle and a bagpipe in the mix your bound to get an extreamly unique sound which make them different then the popular bands today like Simple Plan, Blink 182, and Good Charlotte. They take all their influences from Rock and roll to jazz to cetic to bluegrass and almost any other out there. Many songs like Congress and To The Quick they will take old tradional fiddle or bagpipe tunes with mix in an overdriven guitar, some funky bass lines, and a drummer who knows percussion and rythem. Other songs like Gasoline and Another Round have great lyrics and extrodernary music. The whole CD has some of the best sound I have ever heard. // 10

Lyrics: Music Box, Another Round, Gasoline, Twirling Towards Freedom, Congress, Haven, Minstrel Boy, Martha Stuart, Moved Through the Fair, Life For Love, To the Quick, and Down with the Ship are all the song on the CD. Another Round, Gasoline, Haven, Minstrel Boy, Moved Through the Fair, Life for Love, and Down with the Ship are the ones with lyrics. All of the songs lyrics are very meaningful and powerful. The singers skills are outstanding. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion the musicians in the band arn't just extreamly pleasent guys to talk to after a show, but are also supurb musicians, (and take it from me, because I play guitar, bass, piano, fiddle, drums, tin whistle, and any other instruments I find laying around). I like all the songs on Casualties of Retail, but top 5 would be Congress, Down with the Ship, Gasoline, To the Quick, Martha Stuart. I like Congress becuase they take an old tradional song normaly done on a fiddle, and start off the song with it on guitar. Then graduly the Fiddle, bagpipes, bass, and Drums come in. And near the middle of the song the guitar player goes up to the drummer and holds his guitar up to him, and while the guitar player still is moving his left hand on the neck while the drummer taps the strings where your right hand normaly plays. It sound really awesome. It wouldn't be stolen because I'd gaurd it with my life. // 10

Comments