Morning Star review by Entombed

• Released: Jan 22, 2002
Entombed: Morning Star

There are two different styles of the same metal juggernaut, Entombed. One style being the straight-up death metal of old, best heard on Clandestine and Left Hand Path, but today is all about the other style that they became best known for, the death 'n' roll sound they all but perfected. And this is one of the albums they're best known for, 2002's Morning Star, which pretty much caught these guys at the peak of their d'n'r game. The album has great production, everything sounds perfectly clear and it's exactly what it should be; loud, fast and aggressive.

LG Petrov can growl and roar with the best of them, and this is definitely proof. He seems intent on getting the point across as viciously as he can and it works. Lyrically we have one of the principle death metal themes of religion and right off the get-go LG bashes religion and glorifies Lucifer ("Chief Rebel Angel"). There are also a couple of other topics covered ("Young Man Nihilist", self-explanatory). The vocals are clearly intelligible. It's hard to imagine the album being as good with any other vocalist.

This really is a beast of an album, if you're curious about these guys then this is a great starting point for you. It's comparable(at least to me anyway) to High On Fire playing at the same speed as Superjoint Ritual on Use Once and Destroy, with better production. Every song on the album is great but if I had to pick favorites I'd go with "Bringer Of Light" and "City Of Ghosts"/"About To Die". I love the album as a whole, I don't see any flaws in it, just totally solid. If somebody stole this from me, I would just load it back on my computer and beat the shit out of the guy who hacked into my computer and stole it. This is essential death 'n' roll Entombed, right up there with Wolverine Blues and To Ride, Shoot, Speak, etc. It'll knock your face off like an Ivan Drago hook, but it will hurt so good.

postmortem2006
    This isn't an essential album by any means, but its a very very very good one. Fracture makes me go ballistic.