Strength Review

Genre: Hard Rock, Glam Metal
Label: ATCO
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Strength Reviewed by: Armada15, on september 20, 2010

Sound: Out of any band that really was underrated, it was Enuff Z'Nuff. They have released 15 albums, and have been playing non stop since 1989, despite line up changes. You may remember them, from the MTV videos, such as "New Thing," and "Fly High Michelle." But before you criticize them as being a washed up glam band, remember this: If you actually have ever listened to any of their albums, from start to finish, then you would realize that it was their clothes that made them look glam, and not their music. "Strength" is the second offering from this group. The album features Donnie Vie on guitar and vocals, Chip Z'Nuff on bass, Derek Frigo on lead guitar, and Vikki Foxx on drums. Derek Frigo's father, Johnny Frigo plays violin on a few tunes as well. When I first heard this album, I stopped whatever I was doing at the time, and played each song over again. All of these songs had potential of being hits. Derek Frigo should have been on the same level of Eddie Van Halen, and Slash. The solo in "Mother's Eyes" is flawless. Derek plays like the wind, Donnie sings, with sort of a Paul Mcartney vibe, Chip is perfect scale on bass, while Vikki Foxx tears it up on drums. // 10

Lyrics: "Mother's Eyes" deals with a whole peace, and love your enemy vibe. "Isn't time, we draw the line, and become a human race," deals with unity. Donnie Vie is a great songwriter. Rumor has it, that Paul Mcartney was supposed to sing a duet with Donnie Vie on "Time To Let You Go." This was another song that deals with a break up. It's very mellow, but catchy at the same time. "Heaven Or Hell" has some catchy lyrics as well. No reason why it should not have been a number 1 single. // 10

Overall Impression: I consider this album to be a masterpiece. I believe so, because every song on the album is impressive from start to finish. The only aspect I hate, is that this line up of the band no longer exists. Derek Frigo died of an overdose in 2004, while Vikki Foxx left, to perform with Vince Neil, Logan's Heroes, and The Veronicas. If this album went missing, I would buy it again, despite what the price would be. Enuff Z'Nuff may not have had commercial success, but people such as Robert Plant, David Letterman, Cheap Trick, and Howard Stern consider them a fantastic band. This album is a must hear. // 10

Comments