Back Home review by Eric Clapton

• Released: Aug 30, 2005
Eric Clapton: Back Home

Let me start by saying that as a guitar player, Eric Clapton is a huge influence (actually got me started on guitar, used to play drums). This album is refreshing in that it is very Clapton-esque in sound and "color." From reggae to rock, ballad to blues, he covers a good musical range, and that in itself is worth mentioning. Although better known for his blues and rock music, this is definitely an album worth listening. Since Revolution came out a few weeks back on the radio, it got me expecting this album almost as much as From The Cradle.

Great lyrics throughout the album, it gives an idea of what Eric is going through at this moment in his life, and he seems to be having a blast. As usual, although he himself thinks of his vocal abilities as: "When I hear myself at times, I sound like a 14 year old choir boy!" Let me say, he still has a great voice for Rock, blues, ballads or just about any other style he'd like to sing.

This album, aside from the 2 reggae songs, is reminiscent of the Pilgrim/Reptile period, and does expand a different sound for Eric, other than his blues/rock. It's hard to pick out one particular song from the album, but Run Back To Me has someting for everyone: vocally a notch above the other tracks, great lyrics, haunting guitar filling in (with a nice solo), superb melody. All in all I give this album 5 out of 5. If the album were lost/stolen, I'd definitely buy it again! Well worth the investment, and if you're new to Clapton, it will give you a good starting point!