Crossroads Guitar Festival [DVD] review by Eric Clapton

• Released: Nov 9, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 7
Eric Clapton: Crossroads Guitar Festival [DVD]

For this DVD, Eric Clapton chose a bunch of different guitar players to get together for a guitar festival. Any time you have B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Jimmie Vaughn, Hubert Sulman and many more, the music is going to blow you away. This DVD isn't just limited to blues though, it features everything from classic rock (ZZ Top) to instrumental/shred (Steve Vai) to jazz (Larry Carlton, John McLaughlin) to country (Vice Gill) to folk (James Taylor to Indian Classical music (Vishwa Mohan Bhatt). I could write a whole book about the different styles of music featured on these disks (I probably haven't even mentioned half of them). But two things are the same for all of these players and their songs; all the songs have guitar solos and all the guitar players are great at what they do.

Content — 10
This was a live festival DVD with short interviews of the guitar players between songs. There are a total of 34 songs performed on on this DVD. Two great bonus features that this DVD has are the guitar solo option, where you can skip everything and just listen to the solos, and the bonus interviews. The interviews are great because you get to see and hear what each player thought of the festival and what they tought of the other players.

Production Quality — 7
the only thing I would change about this DVD is I would edit out the interveiws between the live songs. It kind of ruins the whole 'live' feeling when you see one song, see a guy talking in a completly different surrounding, than see the next song. A also wish the would have kept the songs in the order that they were performed in. The 'live' feeling is totally ruined because you see one song in dark night, the next one in sunny mid-day and the next one at night again.

In my mind one of the best parts of this DVD is the crowd shots during the day. It must have been a hot day that day, because almost every crowd shot had a hot girl wearing a swim-suit in it (score). A real great thing abour this DVD is that a lot of the songs are jams with two or more guitarists who aren't playing to impress the audience, but having fun trading solos with each other. This DVD helped remind me what guitar playing is supposed to be like.

Tack25
    I was at the festival and i was just blown down by how lame this DVD was in comparison to how great it could have been. There was a point when Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Jimmie Vaughan, BB King, and John Mayer were up onstage and just jammed for like 20 minutes. This DVD was defiently a letdown to me.
    CowboyUp
    james_led_floyd
    james_led_floyd
    james_led_floyd wrote: CowboyUp wrote: It was an alright DVD, it had quite a few different artists. I wasn't there, so I can't really understand the guy above me.
    delizio37
    i thought the DVD was great. I absolutly love the blues and i was very happy with the DVD. Buddy Guy singing, "Sweet Home Chicago" was hilarious because he was swearing. My absolute favorite performance is Steve Vai when he plays, "Im the Hell Outta Here" it was awesome seeing that.
    Salzary
    I wasn't at the concert, but this DVD was pretty good for a concert DVD. Definetly a solid buy.
    MaAal_MaAan
    This is a truly amazing DVD. and yes, Steve Vai was mind-blowing. You can really see how the guitarists feel the music that they are playing, it is an inspirational dvd to me.
    sloehand
    You will never see a better lineup of guitar players at one festival again, unless there is a crossroads 2