Old Sock review by Eric Clapton

• Released: Mar 12, 2013
Eric Clapton: Old Sock

Eric Clapton has been powerfully dominating the music world with his dynamic playing and comandative singing styles for the past 5 decades. Whether you're discussing his time in The Yardbirds, Cream, or his ever expanding solo career, you still have to acknowledge his status as a guitar master and legend. It's now impossible to tune into any good classic rock station without hearing one of Eric's arsenal of hits, such as "Layla" and a cover of Bob Marley's "I Shot The Sheriff". Now, solidifying his place as one of classic rock's most prestigious musicians out on the scene, as well as announcing his return to the music scene, is his new solo album, titled "Old Sock". This new studio album features 12 new blues and reggae influenced tracks, that shows Eric doing exactly what he does best. There's nothing relatively heavy hitting in this new album, nothing modern sounding. It's a group of quiet yet absolutely rocking songs that match the vibe and tone of his previous more well known works. Whether it's the chord dominated "Further On Down The Road", or the slow paced lounge-style "Folks Who Live On The Hill", Eric Clapton absolutely dominates.

I was personally surprised how well Eric's singing voice has held up over the years. He has maintained that powerful, glossy sound and feel to his voice that still manages to drive each song forward, and at times can make the song. He can hit the same high notes as he used to, which Eric more than demonstrates in the opening track, as well as that deep musty growl that he first showcased in "Layla". For the most part, the vocal work remains top notch, which is just another enjoyable factor included in his performance throughout "Old Sock" that helps drive it over the top and well beyond.

Overall, Eric Clapton gives another passionately great performance with his new release, "Old Sock", that shows Eric tackling on a variety of reggae and blues rock tracks that when backed by such iconic musicians as Paul McCartney, never ceases to come out on the winning side of each one. Wherever you drop the needle on the record, every song is standout, and can both easily and comfortably sit alongside his more seasoned material. For any established fan of Clapton, this is definitely an album to go and pick up for yourself. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

YouTube preview picture

iommi600
    Man... dat album cover. I'm supposing track 1 is called "Chuck Testa Does Not Taxidermize Pets". But seriously, how the hell I wasn't aware of a new Clapton release? I'll check this out soon.
    shajan.k
    You do realize his voice has been edited right? I have the album and I'm listening to it right now. It's a "good-feel" album, which is needed in these days, but his voice is not his own to 100%, just like everyone else these days. P.S. I'm not criticizing Clapton, mearly pointing out that the reviewer is a little bit ... well ... you know.
    stmartial
    Come on - did any of you actually see Cream or John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers or any 80s concerts - this is absolute rubbish - background shopping centre music - no energy,no style,did he really bother,he cannot need the money.Did he really duet with Paul McCartney ?? No wonder people don't pay for CD's anymore. Sounds like he's sold out. Where are the real Clapton fans ?
    Good Ol' Ramos
    How dare Eric Clapton release a record so suddenly without me being aware of it. I tend to stay on top of these things. I'll have to give it a listen, and if the UG review holds true (with how traditional he keeps his sound) then I might have a new love.
    Tobse
    What kind of review ist this? No way to figure out wether this album is worth buying... youre just worshipping him and thats it...
    Dimarzio45
    Clapton is always worshipped. lol
    Infinitychord95
    Well I think its safe to say that if it sucks the review would say so. Doesn't look like it does though. At least I hope not
    nelliewilson
    Does your mom pick out your clothes as well? FFS. Listen to samples and make up your own mind.
    sambargun
    Its Eric Clapton. Youll buy the album if you love him and his music even if it sux.....
    SreejanDutta
    Without Clapton's music, my life would be so incomplete... Thank you for the album ! For me, Clapton = God
    Calymos
    Comanditive? Seriously? Also, I just went to his opening show on his new tour, and HOLY SHIT he's so ****ing good. Can I just say that?
    el tigre
    It's just like the music video from "Doom and Gloom" with the schizophrenic lyrics.
    waco2550
    The sound is great and gets you into a light, bluesy mood. And I think these are songs from his time so there's a bit of jazz/blues in it. But overall it makes me feel enlightened and happy. I say buy it.
    SecondChance360
    Give a listen to this current featured track from Second Chance titled "Without You". If you like it please show your support by "LIKE" on the bands FACEBOOK page and on YouTube ( channel = SecondChance360 ) Without You