Pilgrim review by Eric Clapton

• Released: Mar 10, 1998
Eric Clapton: Pilgrim

This is typical Clapton style music. Contemporary blues w/a modern touch it sounds of computerized pro tools. This is an excellent album. Very moody sad blues. Like always Clapton mixes blues and rock. This album is almost like R&B style. He should make more albums like this one. This album is more of a reflection of Clapton's life and what's inside of him. The way he plays his guitar is amazing. R&B style solo guitar. You could through anything at Eric and he'll give it right back. He's played so many different styles in his life it's outstanding.

The lyrics are superb. Well written and in beat with his guitar playing. Very well thought out. The lyrics fit the mood of the album perfect. Eric even tries to add that R&B touch. Like all of Eric's albums he's a better guitarist than singer, but I typically like his singing. He's from the '60s Rock generation so that's his style.

This album may not compare to his earliest albums but hey Eric gets better with age, to me. He's a more well developed guitarist always seeking new ground. I'd have to say that he's my favorite, and I look up to his accomplishments as an all round near virtuoso guitar player. I'd have to say that Pilgrim, My Father's Eyes and Circus are the best songs on the album. I typically like the overdriven blues song on it Sick and Tired. I like the whole album though outstanding. I would totally have backups of these songs if anything ever happened to it.

Godbe
    I like the song "My Father's Eyes" (I've got his greatest hits, though they're all post 1975 or something...), and I may consider buying this album. Though I have to be honest, I prefer the earlier work of Clapton.
    666Sabbath666
    Personally I absolutley hated this album, but then again the only work from Clapton that I really like is when he was in Cream and Derek and The Dominos.
    blueaxe
    River of tears is a particularly good track, this guy just gets me in the gut.If it weren't for Clapton, I probably wouldn't be playing at all....Blueaxe
    saintjimmy99
    agreed, river of tears is amazing. this is a really good album, granted it's all pretty slow and sad. but it's all about what you wanna hear, so if you're in the mood for it, check it out.
    Funkmaster Fret
    Near virtuoso? The man has the mastery and touch on the instrument people will never be within one thousandth of reaching.
    claptonfan55
    River of Tears and Pilgrim are two of my favorite songs of the album. It's not my absolute favorite EC album in terms of overall sound, but I think that his songwriting is excellent on this album, as is his singing, and while not as present as I'd like it to be, his guitar playing still proves he is one of the masters.