The Cream Of Clapton review by Eric Clapton

• Released: Mar 7, 1995
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Eric Clapton: The Cream Of Clapton

In my opinion this a very bittersweet album in terms of sound. It starts off extremely well with the classic "Layla", and I no particular order, moves through other signature songs such as "White Room" and "Cocaine". However, this record shows music spanning Clapton's career and I was particularly dissapointed with some of the later tracks such as "Lay Down Sally" and "Swing Low Sweet Chariot", which seem to have been drawn from his career in the '80s and late '70s. I'd say I was initially impressed with over half the tracks, but there's only so much you can take of "I shot the Sheriff". Though it is a personal opinion, I prefer the Cream era of his music. But in terms of the overall track list, the record starts off very well, but then dies closer to the end (not some of my favourite Clapton tracks).

Well the lyrics on the Cream songs are simply exceptional, particularly "Strange Brew" which caught me because the words flow so perfectly. The lyrical content of this album is of ranging styles, from the subtle lyrics of "White Room" to the story telling of "Crossroads" (despite the latter being a Robert Johnson song). Obviuosly not all the lyrics were written by Clapton, for example he didn't write much in Cream, but the lyrics are still impressive.

It's a greatest hits album so it would be hard to compare to other albums as it offers some of the best sounds from the '60s and '70s. All of the Cream songs on the album I find are fantastic as well as some Clapton solo songs such as "Cocaine" and the powerful "Wonderful Tonight". If I were to misplace this album, I couldn't really commit myself to buyin a new copy; it just doesn't cut it for me, I'd much rather spend my money on a Cream album, or some of Clapton's less reggae and soul influenced songs. Overall, I think the inclusion of some of these songs lets the album down drammatically because we see less of Clapton's signature licks, and more Dobros.

Sgt. Pepper
    Godbe wrote: 19 tracks? wtf? Mine only has 18...
    There's two versions of this album. One's the remastered version with an extra track and a slightly different track list. How can you say, 'Presence of the Lord' is bad? Keep listening until the wah-wah solo kicks in. It speeds up and it is amazing!
    wmzbomgzors
    TOB00 wrote: El Toro wrote: IS that Chuck Norris on the cover??? You mother f***ing dickhead!! Thats not funny man. Would you go and say Jesus looks like he smokes dope, or whoever the f*** you believe in looks stupid or whatever?? I didnt think so. Music is my religion, and Clapton is God.
    woh, calm down bra. I'm thinking about applying to heaven just so I can smoke weed with Jesus. What that guy said was a joke. on topic: this album is alright, I've got a friend who has it from when he first started getting into Clapton. The only thing I like about the 80's and later Clapton is his tone when he's live. It's beautiful.
    freebyrd32
    This album is friggin amazing. except for that one song "presence of the lord". He should have swapped it for tales of brave Ulysses.