Unplugged review by Eric Clapton

• Released: Aug 18, 1992
Eric Clapton: Unplugged

This cd was recorded live on MTV's Unplugged. Eric reinforces on this what we all already knew, he is a master of voice and guitar. In this live version, he notably uses an acoustic to create a very bluesy feel to this cd. This cd's amazing sound gives us the feeling of a more mature Clapton, then that of previous years. This can be seen especially in the acoustic version of his classic Layla, which he converted from heavy rock riffs, to calming, brilliant acoustic blues. This cd was also the debut of his song Tears in Heaven, his famous, grammy winning, tear-jerking, dedicated to the death of his 4 year old son, who fell out of a 54th storey window. This Cd was widely acclaimed and criticised for Clapton's different treating of Unplugged to other artists, he reworked many of his more popular classics to work perfectly on an acoustic. The sound of the Cd is astrounding, if it weren't for the applause of the audience, you wouldn't know it was live.

This CD contains many of Clapton's old classics, masterfully reworked to sound amazing on the acoustic. Clapton's voice is very well suited to the bluesy feel of the CD, without his singing, it wouldn't be the same. Many of the songs are old classics, such as Layla, but also contains some new songs such as Tears in Heavan, which is agruebly one of his best pieces of work.

I personaly feel this was the greatest and most memorable of all the Unplugged performances, definetly less sloppy the Nirvana. Of all the songs on the album, I would narrow it down to three essentials Tears In Heaven, Layla and Before You Accuse Me. I love the the fact that Clapton does what he is best at on the CD, his performance was perfect, he sounds like it was in the studio, it is amazing. I would reccommend this as the must have of all Clapton's work. And that's saying a lot.

OzarkMDaredevil
    Many people insult the Unplugged Layla, but I think it is one of the most amazing and cool songs ever....And I know it was 2 years ago, but to the guy above me, but who in the hell were you referring to?
    Captain Penguin
    This album is great. End of. And i know it's been said before, but if the applause of the audience wasn't included then I'd be damn certain that this had been recorded in the studio. And the unplugged version of Layla kicks ass! Who in their right mind would criticize it? This album is Clapton at his best.