Riding With The King review by Eric Clapton and BB King

• Released: Jun 13, 2000
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Eric Clapton and BB King: Riding With The King

Overall the sound isn't really that amazing, to be perfectly honest I was expecting much better when I purchased the album. It sounds like something I would record with a blues backing track and a four-track tape recorder, not studio sound quality at all. Very surprisingly neither Eric nor B.B. had good amp settings, the tone was not great at all, with Eric sounding to tinny and B.B. playing with to much bass, it's was all just a bit disappointing. The first track 'Riding With The King' was good but it gave me false hope, as I thought that the rest of the album was going to be just as good, which it wasn't. The guitar playing was average at best, (shocking as it may sound) and what Eric and B.B. were writing and doing wasn't very fresh, new or original. Most of the stuff they wrote had been done several times in the past and it wasn't very exciting. I was very disappointed with album, I've listened to it a lot but I just can't get into it, and I'm a die-hard blues fan! I was really expecting more from Eric Clapton and B.B. King.

The lyrics are completely unoriginal and are also very boring and monotonous. They over use the line "My baby's gone!" Everything's got to do with their baby and there baby leaving. In some of the songs the lyrics are reasonably okay, but there's still nothing brilliant or new. I didn't like B.B. King's singing and really just didn't like the lyrics, as they got very boring very quickly. To be fair though it wasn't really about the lyrics it's was about the guitar playing, but that wasn't very good either! So there was nothing really to listen to! Which was very disappointing.

My overall impression is that I think this album is average. Disappointing lyrics and disappointing guitar playing left me feeling annoyed. I wouldn't recommend buying this album, but that's just my opinion, you might think it's brilliant because at the end of the day all the reviews on this site are just someone's opinion. If you're real blues fan I don't think you will like it as the album contains nothing fresh or new.

highway61
    zeppelfloyd
    highway61 wrote: if you wanna hear clapton do the blues right, go out and get From the Cradle. he's got some of the greatest tones i've ever heard come out of his guitar, especially on Third Degree
    i definatly agree. from the cradle is a great cd. and i like this one too. the lyrics are unoriginal because blues is always pretty much about the same thing, some one left some one and the person leaving or being left still the person leaving. you can't do that too many times w/out something sounding monotonous. but this is a great cd. 2 of the best blues players doing their thing. i can't wait to see clapton soon i got tickets to his concert in jax FL in october. can't wait
    shark38j
    This is an amazing LP. I love it. Two great bluesmen just sitting aroung and jamming to some great songs. If you like this check out "In Session" with SRV and Albert King. Same king of feel to the album, but with different kinds of material.
    dr_john
    i have to agree with the reviewer, it's just an OK sort of album with nothing to really recommend it. yep, 'from the cradle' was one of clapton's best as mentioned a couple of times above.
    Shuviduwaax
    if it's a C of bb king and clapton it's a good one...if the lyrics are very similar I don't care...
    InTurn
    If you ask me Clapton's best stuff was when he wasn't solo, but when he was with Bonnie and Delaney, Cream, or Derek and The Dominoes especialy. IMHO
    pe_666
    Super Slinky PJ wrote: If you're real blues fan I don't think you will like it as the album contains nothing fresh or new
    thats a strange thing to say as a real blues man probably loves the old stuff, btw it sais that it ar all covers so why expect something new then? and about the lyrics as zeppelfloyd said, thats just blues..
    stayalive#55
    great album, unorigional, but still I like that they got two of the greatest blues guitarists together to put something together like this
    thrash-it-up
    what an awful review, that album was fantastic, especially the title track. definitely worth at least double the score given of 4