Riding With The King Review

Eric Clapton and BB King: Riding With The King
Release Date: Jun 13, 2000
Label: Reprise
Genres: Modern Electric Blues, Blues-Rock
What they do here is cover 12 classic blues songs, many of them staples of King's repertoire, so the title of this album makes sense.
 6.4
 8.8
review (1) 12 comments vote for this album:
Riding With The King Reviewed by: Super Slinky PJ, on july 11, 2006

Sound: Overall the sound isn't really that amazing, to be perfectly honest I was expecting much better when I purchased the album. It sounds like something I would record with a blues backing track and a four-track tape recorder, not studio sound quality at all. Very surprisingly neither Eric nor B.B. had good amp settings, the tone was not great at all, with Eric sounding to tinny and B.B. playing with to much bass, it's was all just a bit disappointing. The first track 'Riding With The King' was good but it gave me false hope, as I thought that the rest of the album was going to be just as good, which it wasn't. The guitar playing was average at best, (shocking as it may sound) and what Eric and B.B. were writing and doing wasn't very fresh, new or original. Most of the stuff they wrote had been done several times in the past and it wasn't very exciting. I was very disappointed with album, I've listened to it a lot but I just can't get into it, and I'm a die-hard blues fan! I was really expecting more from Eric Clapton and B.B. King. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are completely unoriginal and are also very boring and monotonous. They over use the line "My baby's gone!" Everything's got to do with their baby and there baby leaving. In some of the songs the lyrics are reasonably okay, but there's still nothing brilliant or new. I didn't like B.B. King's singing and really just didn't like the lyrics, as they got very boring very quickly. To be fair though it wasn't really about the lyrics it's was about the guitar playing, but that wasn't very good either! So there was nothing really to listen to! Which was very disappointing. // 3

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that I think this album is average. Disappointing lyrics and disappointing guitar playing left me feeling annoyed. I wouldn't recommend buying this album, but that's just my opinion, you might think it's brilliant because at the end of the day all the reviews on this site are just someone's opinion. If you're real blues fan I don't think you will like it as the album contains nothing fresh or new. // 4

Comments