Before I Sold Out Review

artist: Eric Hutchinson date: 09/19/2006 category: compact discs
Eric Hutchinson: Before I Sold Out
Release Date: Mar 14, 2006
Genres: Rock
Before I Sold Out captues Eric live and in his element. It is a diverse collection of acoustic-pop songs that reflects a wide range of musical influences from Michael Jackson & Stevie Wonder to Ben Folds & Elvis Costello.
 7.3
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Before I Sold Out Reviewed by: moon child, on september 19, 2006

Sound: In the past few years there has been an explosion of the emotional male singer-songwriter phenomenon. From popular and well circulated artists such as Jack Johnson to his lesser known counterparts, these boys have been a seemingly unstopable force. Knowing this, it would seem that Eric Hutchinson is just one of many but nothing could be further from the truth. Before I Sold Out it a live recording of Eric in his natural habitat, the small club show. Not only is the CD filled with examples of beautiful musical and lyrical work it also provides a glance into the nature of the artist himself as he tells short stories and jokes between the songs. The sound is influenced by The Beatles, Paul Simon and the like and yet holds a note that strikes the listener as completely unique. // 7

Lyrics: Eric's thoughtfully crafted lyrics run as a strong counterpart to his acoustic guitar melodies. Catchy, inteligent pop songs couver a range of topics and show a social awareness not often found within the genre. Atleast one song on the CD will strike a note with any red blooded listener, a fact which displays yet another facet of Hutchinson's universal appeal. // 7

Overall Impression: If you like artists like Dispatch and Jack Johnson you can't help but be realed in by songs like Rock N' Roll and Outside Villanova. In the end there is not a lot to hate about Eric's infectious pop and relaxed concert persona. This album is a must have for anyone with an appreciation for well written, thoughtfully crafted music by a decidedly soulfull singer songwriter. // 8

Comments