Ah Via Musicom review by Eric Johnson

• Released: Mar 20, 1990
Eric Johnson: Ah Via Musicom

Eric Johnson has to be one of the greatest, most technically accomplished guitarists of our time. His tone is probably the best that I've ever heard out of any guitarist, as many others would agree. His singing isn't half bad either, in fact, I quite like it! It takes some getting used to, but it's great stuff. The highlights of this album, IMO, are Cliffs Of Dover, Desert Rose and Trademark, although all of them are great. Here's a go through of each song: 01. Ah Via Musicom - kind of a prelude to Cliffs Of Dover, mostly synthesized stuff, not really a song. 02. Cliffs Of Dover - IMO, the best song ever made. It's an absolutly perfect tune. Words really cannot describe his perfect tone and playing ability that is portrayed in this song. 03. Desert Rose - EJ sings in this, which takes getting used to, but is very nice. There is a sweet couple of solos in it that you can't miss, very good. 04. High Landrons - another singing one, catchy, cool sounds too. I like it. 05. Steve's Boogie - a country-style instrumental, good playing, but not really my kinda music, still it's short and worth a listen. 06. Trademark - a great song! One of the highlights. This is a great instrumental, layed back song that is very pleasant to listen to. The main riff is really cool. 07. Nothing Can Keep Me From You - another singing one. I really like this song too, the chorus is very enjoyable and the guitar playing is exceptional. IMO, this is the best singing on the album. 08. Song For George - this is a jewl of a song. Only 1:49, but this short instrumental displays EJ's vituosity on the acoustic guitar. On your first listen it doesn't sound like much, but if you constentrate, you can hear the complexity of this. 09. Righteous - yet another catchy, fast paced instrumental, good for waking yourself up in the morning. 10. Forty Mile Town - it's an okay song. Some slower singing and guitar playing, not bad though. 11. East Wes - I thought I read this wrong when I first saw it, I thought it was East West, but it's not. This is a jazzy tune that does the job tying up the last song of this great album.

EJ is not idolized for his singing, but he does a very good job at it. My only critisizm would be that he doesn't seem to put much feeling into his playing, but his melodic voice covers for that, making it enjoyable none the less. The lyrics are hocky at times, but I really don't listen to lyrics that much so it doesn't matter much to me.

Wow, buy this album! You won't regret it, it's a supurb job that has won some prestigeous awards, I think it's grammys, but I always get those awards mixed up. This was my first CD by EJ that I bought, and it really got me into his music. I love this whole album, every song on it, and if it was stolen, I'd get my insurence to cover it, so I'd get another. This is one of my favorite CDs, I'd have to say, by my favirite artist.

Cazz3000
    You kiss the famous songs' arses too much. I won't deny that he is the most technically accomplished, he is easily the fastest "non-shredder" if you will, that i have heard. He's a guitar player so his voice is just a bonus in all honesty. Average review, a push in the right direction for you though.
    nervosuu
    He does a great job on this album. I enjoyed his singing, i guess some can disagree, it's not AMAZING, but he's got a good voice. Overall, I love this one.
    agent_sephiroth
    definitley not the greatest guitarist nor the most technicaly accomplished, but nevertheless a nice album!