Tones review by Eric Johnson

• Released: Jan 1, 1986
Eric Johnson: Tones

The aptly titled "Tones" was a great way to start off Eric Johnson's career, and it couldn't have come at a better time. In the midst of all of the glam and slam of the mid eighties, there was Eric Johnson so elegant, and tasteful. 01. Soulful Terrain - this is such a cool little preface to the rest of the music, very upbeat. 02. Friends - this is actually my favorite track from this album, the solo is eargasmic, it has a very obscure intro. The lyrics are really meaningful when it comes right down to it. 03. Emerald Eyes - EJ originally recorded this one for his first album Seven Worlds, and I think he actually improved upon it. I like this version better his smooth sound on Tones fits the song better than on Seven Worlds which was actually a bit more twangy. 04. Off My Mind - this is a groovy tune with a choir I believe an all female choir. I really like this solo (Guitar, and vocal) a lot too, very cool vibe. 05. Desert Song - this is a beuatifully composed all acoustic piece that demonstrates Eric's Latin/Jazz/Classical influence. Really a great composition. 06. Trail Of Tears - I absolutely love the intro to this song, it's very oriental. This is definitely my second favorite track, great lyrics and structure. The overdubbing is superb. 07. Bristol Shore - great song, really cool solo and you get to hear that awesome, awe inspiring Koto technique. His voice actually sounds a bit different on this song I think, but that is a good thing. I rather like it. 08. Zap - this was another one that was originally recorded on Seven Worlds that EJ reworked for this album, and again I like this version better, partly because of his tone but mainly because of the extended solo which is mind boggling by the way. 09. Victory - this is kind of a laid back instumental. This particular track doesn't showcase a lot of virtuousity, but a good ending to a great album.

I think the lyrics were great, they went very well with all of the songs that contained them. Everything flowed wonderfully and sounded great, very heartfelt lyrics. I believe that Eric Johnson is the greatest Musician alive, and that Tones attests to that, he is a wonderfully taleneted vocalist and should be regarded as such. Kudos.

This album is great in every way, I love Eric Johnson's Music, and his Sound. I believe that he is the greatest Musician alive, and that Tones attests to that. I love Friends, Emerald Eyes, Trail of Tears, and Zap all of the songs are great, but those stand out. If this were stolen, I would gladly go out and buy it again.

freewheelin_arg
    incredible good album, incredible good tones too. if you like the clean tones of a strat, go and get this album