Dying Is Your Latest Fashion review by Escape the Fate

Escape the Fate: Dying Is Your Latest Fashion

"Dying Is Your Latest Fashion" is a Post-Hardcore album by Escape The Fate. The album really introduces itself with the leading track "The Webs We Weave" utilizing low pitched growls, high pitched screaming and gritty clean vocals, leading to a overall awesome mix of vocals portrayed by Ronnie Radke. After this well, the album only gets better. Tracks like "Not Good Enough For Truth In Clich", "My Apocalypse", "They Day I Left The Womb" and "Cellar Door" leave the Post-Hardcore orientated-ness of the album, and become more rock orientated. They utilize mainly clean vocals, with the occasional growl, leaving a subtle taste. Then there are several songs which (As 13 Year Olds would say) "Metal" with such songs as "The Guillotine" and "When I Go Out, I Want To Go Out On A Chariot Of Fire" and "There's No Sympathy For The Dead" because of the heavy breakdowns, aggresive riffs and more utilized growls. The rest of the album is mainly "Emo" and uses high pitched "squecks" to each breath (Reminiscent of Michael Jackson), leaving a pop-orientated taste to each listener, such tracks as "Situations", "Reverse This Curse", "Friends And Alibis".

The lyricsin many of the songs are whiney, poorly structured and based too much on similar situations. However, there is alot of raw emotion, leaving the audience breathless. With that in note showing the lyrics are just written to fill the songs. In such songs such as "Not Good Enough For Truth In Clich", "My Apocalypse" and "Cellar Door" they are driven on pure emotion, leaving a shuddering feeling in the spine of the audience to which they can't seem to shake off. In one particular track "The Guillotine" (Rumoured to be inspired by Halo on the XboX) You can see structured lyrics, but with no real purpose, this leaves me personally dissapointed as I like songs with meaning and purpose, but the structure saves the song from total damnation. The rest of the album has many whiney lyrics, about either personal experiences or fantasy based. Such tracks as "Situations" and "The Day I Left The Womb" although good tracks, are simply put 'whiney and useless' for the fact they just screech about the same problems over and over. Although I do rather enjoy this album, the songwriting isnt as could as it could be.

Escape The Fate have always had a unique sound, so I personally find it hard to compare them to any other artist. (Until the most recent album release) I believe the most impressive songs on this particular album are: My Apocalypse Not Good Enough For Truth In Clich Cellar Door I love the raw emotion driven by Bryan "Monte" Money's guitar work and Ronnie Radke's unique voice. But on the same note, they both become repetitive after 5/6 songs.

jaybrink101
    So, basically, this is a great album, I reckon one of the stand-out albums in this vein of Post-Hardcore. IMHO, if you're a Ronnie fanboy (I am), go listen to FIR. I agree, Ronnie has a way more unique voice than Craig, but don't blame Craig for all of ETF's troubles. Fanks