Escape The Fate review by Escape the Fate

• Released: Nov 2, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Escape the Fate: Escape The Fate

Before I conduct this interview, I should say that my opinion is a bit biased, as is, I think, most of UG. I was once a fan of this band, but have quickly grown out of it. It's very easy for me to just say that this album blows. So let me say this; first impression: this album sucks. But that wouldn't be fair, would it :) Here is my attempt at writing an unbiased review, as all reviews should be. Reading a few recent interviews this band as conducted, they have stated several times that this album would be much more guitar driven, and it definitely shows. With almost each track having a solo of some sort, Escape the Fate's eponymous album is taking a step closer to "metal" (in many 13 year old's minds). While This War Is Ours was filled with a somewhat generic guitar tone, with the instrument itself a bit lower in the mix, and the occasional sweep or melodic arpeggio, this album makes it a little more clear that there actually IS a guitarist behind these riffs, with the "attack" of the strings a bit more apparent. The band also continues it's Guillotine series (Oh, God..). BUT I actually was taken by surprise, and like This War Is Ours was the best song in their last album, the 3rd installment of the Guillotine trilogy, titled The Aftermath, is, IMO, the best on this record. With an impressive solo, impressive vocal performance, this song has the power to keep even the most flamboyant Escape the Fate hater to keep listening for at least another 10 seconds.

Escape the Fate lyrics are what they are: lyrics. Nothing thought provoking or insightful here, but it does keep the song a bit more interesting. Back when I listened to this kind of music, my top two bands were Blessthefall and Escape the Fate, and what do (did) they have in common? Their frontman, Craig Mabbitt. Although I find he has the appearance of Demi Lovato's identical twin brother, he has a very palatable (not in the edible sense of the word) tone to his voice. I truly do find him to be one of the best vocalists within his genre. His clean vocals, while not my cup of tea, ARE appealing and I find nothing especially wrong with them. His harsh vocals, spanning from a high pitched, yet very meaty scream, to a low, guttural growl, can spark envy in many metal heads as well. He may not be the brutal Randy Blythe, Corpsegrinder, or Mikael Akerfeldt people want him to be, but he is by far the only person for Escape the Fate. ^Currently. All Ronnie Radke, please stand back.

There's two ways most people (myself included) can decide whether or not an album is "good" or not: by comparing it with older albums, or comparing it with their favorite band. By choosing the latter, I can say with certainty that this album is [Simon Cowell accent] complete and utter rubbish [/accent]. But comparing it with their other albums, I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's an improvement, but it is a solid album nonetheless. The thing is, many people criticize bands because it sucks in their mind. What they don't know is that they are horny, desperate, teenagers. Let's say you want to start a relationship with a girl, but find that it doesn't work out, you blame the girl for not being who you want her to be. Something that slips many people's minds is, maybe the GIRL doesn't want to be with YOU? Escape the Fate knows their target audience, and I'm sure the people within that audience will like this album very much. But then here come the metal heads with their pitchforks, flaming Escape the Fate, when the band didn't even intend on making music satisfactory to your ears. It's all about a target audience. I looked them up on YouTube today and say many people praising their songs. And I've come to realized that I was one of them. I was IN their audience, enjoying everything they do. So I think this album will do just fine to Escape the Fate fans. I really do. But man am I glad to have found a new audience.