This War Is Ours review by Escape the Fate

• Released: Oct 21, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Escape the Fate: This War Is Ours

As much as Escape the Fate's Dying is your Lastest Fashion exploded onto the music scene, I can't help but think that this album is some what overrated at the moment. The hype, the incredible hotness of the band members; teenage girls will love this one. But I do have a strange feeling that some fans will be distracted by this release. In my personal opinion I think this record is far below anything else they've recorded, very much a completely different band to me, as they've lost the rhythm and the vocals they used to have. However I'll start discussing the principle sound they've adopted in this album. I saw these guys live a while back, the show was pretty good, Craig held up and it was half decent. Although, in the album his voice is different to what I heard, it's almost like he's trying to be a Ronnie. Listen to Blessthefall and you'll get what I'm talking about. My first initial impression of the sound was in the form of the first song; We Won't back Down. Some parts were annoying but not too bad, still nothing special. One particular element of notice is the continuing little bits of shred scattered throughout the song and every other song, reminds me of PTH. The shred also accompanied pinch harmonics like there's no tomorrow, the lead guitarist seems to have gone harmonic crazy since the last album, in every song just about you will find that pinchies have been massivly overused, personally I think it's unnecessary. Some of the riffs used at the start of certain songs such as 10 Miles Wide were very metal and actually kind of interesting, but what really down plays everything is Craigs voice in this song, very A7X like, and kind of like grove based... it's hard to explain but just listen and you should get it. One thing that did also hinder me was how much like everything else this sounds and how love struck Craig is (again teenage girls = target audience). This is a very generic album. Very poppy (probs John Feldman's doing). Kind of soft. But it's not shocking it's not bad, it's just not Escape the Fate. I will give it a six though as I do respect the fact that these guys do have some good parts in this album.

Love... that's about all I need to say. Some of the lyrics don't really fit in place like some of This War is Ours' screaming. Another theme is War, but if I could say again; the theme's of love, girls and Craig loving this girl and voicing his mistake's and saying how beautiful a girl is, It is a bit of an over saturated genre already, but this goes right into the whole Emo scene. Although I don't usually label music, this album fits Emo like a glove. I'm sure he needs to get out some emotions, I mean it's ok to sing about love but having some originality would do him a world of good. Anger is also another theme which is an offshoot of the love, following the whole: You broke my heart and I'm pissed off and I want you to know it thing. The lyrics are unoriginal, period, but he managed to get them to fit into the song generally so I'll split it even and give him a 5, not really impressed with the lyrics though.

Well this album is a massive step backwards from what they were, I'm trying to like it but I don't, still, the songs will please the massive hoards of scene kids waiting in line to hear this album. I'm currently listening to old ETF just making a comparison and I like the old better, the old is much more, well less Craig, and less shred your face off the walls and more beef, there's more there, much more. But I won't entirely discredit the new ETF, in the nature of trying to keep the review as unbiased as possible (which is hard) I'm giving it a five, the songs are listenable, you could like them, but I doubt you'll love them. Go and buy the record when it comes out, and post a review of your own. Mainly cause they'll need some support on this record money wise, and hopefully after they read the reviews the next one they write will bring the standard up a notch.