This War Is Ours review by Escape the Fate

• Released: Oct 21, 2008
Escape the Fate: This War Is Ours

This group from Las Vegas-based still carry on a lot of what made them such an enjoyable listen on their previous effort, Dying Is Your Latest Fashion. Even with the loss of their former front man Ronnie Radke, the band is able to deliver the sound they're known for. Ronnie was replaced with former Bless The Fall vocalist Craig Mabbit, and he doesn't do a bad job. The album is basically the same goth/emo tinted metalcore you found on Dying Is Your Latest Fashion. Songs about love and breakups, and a title track that has a slight theme of war. So lets look over the track listing shall we? 01.We Wont Back Down: a nice opener. A bit of a punkish sound to it, and has a few good riffs in the song. Craig does some good vocal work here. Overall a pretty good song. 8/10 02.On To The Next One: another pretty decent song. Not one of the best on the album though. Could pass as a filler song, but it's still pretty good. Decent fretwork on the solo. 6.5/10 03.Ashley: quite obviously a love song, and a pretty good one. Some seriously heartfelt lyrics about a girl, whom I'm assuming goes by the name Ashley. Could become a favorite of mine. 8/10 04.Something: a sort of depressing song. You can definitely get the emo sense of the band from this song. The music isn't the best, but it's good it's moments and the lyrics are some of the best on the album. 6/10 05.The Flood: one of my favorite and in my opinion one of the better songs on the album. Some good heavy riffs, and a good lyrical flow. I miss Ronnie, but Craig belts it out quite nicely on this track. 9/10 06.Let It Go: another emo-ish song. The music on this track is good though. Good lyrics. The song is short and sweet. 7/10 07.You Are So Beautiful: another love song. It keeps up with the kind pattern the album offers. Love song, breakup song, love song, breakup song, etc. It's decent but not a standout track. 5/10 08.This War Is Ours (The Guillotine Part II): the title track definitely the stand out track of this album. Easily my favorite off the album, and could be a longstanding favorite song of all time. Opens with a great solo and awesome growling. The song uses the lyrics "Through the fire and the flames...," which leads me to believe these guys have either been listening to Dragonforce or playing Guitar Hero III. In any case, this is one the best songs I've heard in a long time. 10/10 09.10 Miles Wide: a song with a funky beat to it. A real nice groove, and some interesting lyrics and an even more interesting approach toward the vocal style. Overall a decent song. 7/10 10.Harder Than You Know: this is another breakup song, and is the only clean track on the album. The way Craig sings the chorus sounds almost identical to Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day. Although that's the only resemblance to it. Not one of the better songs, but still good. 6/10 11.It's Just Me: this is a different song, doesn't sound like any of the other songs on this album. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The lyrics are very nice on this disc, as they were on the bands last effort. Once again, the songs are about love and breakups as a whole. Some of the strongest lyrical content I've ever heard, and they are very beautifully written. Though I miss Ronnie as a vocalist, Craig delivers some beautiful vocals. Overall it's very good. A fair warning for fans who fell in love with Dying Is Your Latest Fashion. If you expect the same vocal styling, you will be a bit disappointed. Good news is you wont be wholly disappointed. After all, change isn't always a bad thing.

All in all, it is a very good album. I was iffy about it because of the change in the line-up, but I was both impressed and satisfied with the final product these guys have produced. Definitely worth the money you would spend on it. Old fans will either be disappointed or pleased, as is with all new releases from a group. New listeners to the band will surely have a new favorite band upon a few listens to the disk. This band is just full of great riffs, awesome solos, and strong lyrics. A lot of potential is to be found with these guys. Pick up the album and go see the live show.

archangelseren
    this album is so horrible!!!! no its just peaking on average they have turned even more generic than before and now just whinge and whine like any loser could. my standouts though are 1. On to the next one (love it!) 2. This world is ours (guillotine II) 3. The flood, the rest well youll see
    ismellfunny13
    agree I just think if there going to play that music which isn't that bad (just different) they should change their name
    TFK_62
    Yeah without Ronnie, they were doomed, cause he made them who they were. Now they're probably like... Escapethefall... but I'll still buy this cd to hear it.
    Zao_89
    I think I actually like this one better than their last album. The title track is soooo goood.
    ed_423
    i dont get why ppl are giving this so much shit. i like it. i mean yeah craig sounds different but i dont think its badd. true i love the title track and the flood because it sounds like their old album, but other songs like the opening track was pretty good too. and IMO, i think the guitarist got a lot better on the guitar work.
    Revenger#11
    Was looking forward to this, the flood was a decent single. Hopefully Craig can live up to the expectations set by Ronnie
    ethizzle2
    As for the guitar ed - it's monte, who had been playing rhythm in the past. I couldn't agree more...he's absolutely amazing, especially in Guillotine p.2. I think he's going to have many, many opportunities in the future to branch out given the phenomenal level of playing he has obtained.
    Hendershot88
    yeaaah this war is ours has a SICK solo. it's gotta be one of my top favorites right now. after really listening to this today like three runs through it's alittle disappointing. I wish Craig would scream just alittle bit more cause he's sick at it and like they need more sick riffs! Dying is (etc etc) had some amazing good riffs that carried you through the songs and on this album the only good riffs are pretty much through the intro's. And my last beef is wtf is Craig singing when a solo is being played? I'm going to go see these guys I just hope it's gonna be worth it. =/ I'm pretty sure i'll be deleting almost every song off my Ipod besides this war is ours and like 2 others.
    Matt Doreen
    I like it... Very, very nice guitar work. Respectable vocals and lyrics. It's Just Me's the coolest song I've heard in a long time. It's all great, really. Except Ashley makes me wanna break things. It's kind of a "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS DOING HERE" kind of thing.
    AFIxBLAQKxAUDIO
    I think the album is great. Craig has brought something new to the band and has taken them to another level in my opinion. Monte's guitar is amazing on this album!
    Matt Doreen
    They sound like The Used because the album's produced by John Feldmann. He gives everything he produces a certain distinct quality.
    Xdearxxdiaryx
    This CD is AWFUL. If they didnt have max they'd lose most of their scene girl following (like 80% of their "fans"). This band is never going to be as big as Motley Crue as they predicted I'd be suprised if they lasted another 2 years even. This cd is just more Pop-punk bullsht. They are sellouts. Craigs is an awful singer and a little pussy.
    xXguitard00dXx
    The song called The Guillotine Part 2 is the best on there I'm tabbing it out now but I think the band should have changed their name since it's really same anymore.