This War Is Ours review by Escape the Fate

• Released: Oct 21, 2008
Escape the Fate: This War Is Ours

Ok, let's cut to the chase. Escape the Fate have had to go through a radical change. Losing a singer in Ronnie Radke with a unique voice and losing once guitarist was always going to mean the band wouldn't be able to make Dying Is Your Latest Fashion 2.0, which is the main criticism of this album from many people, especially fans of Radke and the more throaty screaming. Give Craig Mabbit some credit for coming in and doing a stellar job with his tuneful vocals and fearsome roar. What shines though are the guitars and the drums, providing interesting music for Mabbit to sing over. However some songs, although not particularly bad, do sound very samey, radio friendly and you wouldn't want to listen to them over and over again. Thankfully, this is more than made up for by the rest of the songs, that provide most of the interest on the album. 01.We Won't Back Down: the opener is a real crasher, starting suddenly and with a great deal of energy from start to finish, reminiscent of Atreyu's Doomsday on "Lead Sails, Paper Anchors." 8/10 02.On To The Next One: this isn't particularly a standout track, but it does have some neat guitar riffs and a very bouncy rhythm. 6/10 03.Ashley despite being one of the slower, radio friendly songs, this is a very good song. Singalong all the way through with interesting instrumentation. 8/10 04.Something: something heralds the start of the mediocre songs. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but I wouldn't particularly listen to it obsessively. Still has good instrumentation. 6/10 05.The Flood: one of two tracks that sounds most like something from Dying Is Your Latest Fashion. Fast pace, heavy guitars, singalong chorus and a heavy breakdown with roaring vocals. 9/10 06.Let It Go: this is the worst track on he album. Again, nothing particularly awful about it, but it just fails to shine in any way. 3/10 07.You Are So Beautiful: this is a strange one, the verse and chorus, although quite catchy, are like the more generic songs on the album, but it has a heavy breakdown and good vocal work by Craig Mabbit that make it more memorable. 6/10 08.This War Is Ours (The Guillotine Part II): the standout track on the album. Visceral guitars, roaring verses and singing so powerful on the chorus it may knock you backwards. Escape The Fate show their diversity by introducing spanish guitars halfway through the song, before tearing through a very impressive solo. This song also follows the same pattern and riffs reminiscent to the very popular song (from the EP and first album) The Guillotine. 10/10 09.10 Miles Wide: a charging Rock n' Roll song that sounds like Atreyu's new style. Older metal redefined with a new age touch, with some good vocals from Mabbit and an interesting riff throughout. 10.Harder Than You Know: another mediocre song. Nothing to say about it that I haven't with the other songs. 3/10 11.It's Just Me: a surprising shift in style for the album closer. The verses sound generally unnerving, much like Finch's "Dreams of Psilocybin" on "Say Hello To Sunshine." The chorus has a great singalong chorus, and the song album sounds like it was made at the circus. Genuinely a very good song. 10/10

Now the main issue with the album is the lyrics, especially in the songs that are less memorable. The lyrics are all about love, or breaking up with someone. Now this is fine, but it's repeated so much that it gets tiresome. Lyrics on This War Is Ours (The Guillotine Part II), It's Just Me, The Flood and We Won't Back Down are more inventive and better written. Craig Mabbit's vocals are simply amazing. He possesses and incredibly powerful singing voice, as well as the throaty roar I wish he uses more often in this album. Marks lost for the repetitive themes of some of the lyrics.

This War Is Ours was a make it or break it album for Escape the Fate, and I feel they have just about made it. For the next album they should concentrate on writing faster paced songs, which implement the styles of Dying Is Your Latest Fashion and their new style in This War Is Ours, and then they will truly be a fearsome combination of melody and heaviness. This album will no doubt upset purist fans of Ronnie Radke and the older style, but Escape The Fate can be proud that they have managed to keep making the music and what's more, mainly making very good music. I feel the mediocre songs are far outshone by the quality ones.

Ghost_Knive
    lol 1 you don't even know that Craig is from blessthefall? 2 you are SO biased, what bad reporting. Please whine elsewhere? Give things fair reviews.
    NewSkewl
    i have to admit,
    qotsa1998 wrote: I kinda wish this had lived up to the hype. Without Ronnie and Omar, ETF sounds more like an 80s hair band than a post-hardcore or screamo band. Overall, even with all the hype and expectaions set for em, the album is rather mediocre.
    i have to agree. the album is just bad. no more screaming save This War is Ours and one other I think
    Ghost_Knive
    anyone going to notice that Craig saved ETF and that he is not trying to be Ronnie. The album is actually good when you have an open mind and get off of your own high horse. The first things anyone says about ETF is RONNIE. Get over it. They didn't lose Ronnie, he did it all by himself.
    AnEvilWalrus
    This is stupid. The only song I really like off this album is The Guillotine Part 2, and only for part of the song... this sounds like generic metalcore to me, for the most part. I dunno they lost something special when they lost Ronnie. He made a huge difference.
    ratedpg
    Honestly I was worried that people would actually like this new ETF, I'm glad they're getting the reviews they deserve. It sucks what happened with Ronnie, but to replace him with Craig? Honestly I can't stand his whiny emo voice, it's awful. ETF was such an awesome band, this sucks.
    ismellfunny13
    BigDean wrote: "This album will be melodic, we are who we are we are Escape the Fate"
    He said it WON'T be a melodic album
    Maggot66
    TFK_62 wrote: Yeah without Ronnie, they were doomed, cause he made them who they were. Now they're probably like... Escapethefall... but I'll still buy this cd to hear it.
    They did not Escapethefall at all. xP That comment made me rofl though.. I wish they still had Ronnie.. They are really failing without him..
    NemX162
    I think this albums is ****ing amazing. People need to get over themselves and at least give a fair review, even if they don't like it.
    qotsa1998
    SH3RR3D
    yeah this is utter bollocks ronnie was a big headed arse by saying he was escape the fate.. but he was right
    BigDean
    I was very dissapointed when i heard this Old Etf was wow when i first saw situations on youtube i fell in love with the tone, the riff and Ronnies vocals. This was a big change for them, they needed a new singer Ronnie was hustling kids,doing drugs regualarly and got involved with the murder of a young man.No matter how much you dislike Craig hes here. I personally think Craig is a talented singer some will disagree i dont thinkpersonally he's for Etf because the change in my view sounds like Bless the Fall but happier. I love Etf and i agree with the choices they have made i would do the same to be honest, i am also glad that they are doing what they want to.I read like months ago that Max had said "This album will be melodic, we are who we are we are Escape the Fate" I respect hes doing what hes doing. In my view its the type of album you'r either gonna love it, or hate it.
    kornball82490
    09.10 Miles Wide: a charging Rock n' Roll song that sounds like Atreyu's new style. Older metal redefined with a new age touch, with some good vocals from Mabbit and an interesting riff throughout. i thought this was interesting seeing that Josh Todd of Buckcherry sang additional vox on "Blow" from LeadSailsPaperAnchor. anyways, at first i liked the cd a lot...but the more i listen, yeah only "the flood" and "this war is ours" really hit the spot i like. i saw them live a couple weeks ago, it was a good show though i had expected a bit more. i have to agree that Craig was waaayyyy better with blessthefall. i hope that whoever picks up the mic for them fills the gap that was lost. it will be interesting to see where ETF goes from here. best of luck guys.