This War Is Ours review by Escape the Fate

• Released: Oct 21, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 2.7 Junky
Escape the Fate: This War Is Ours

This War Is Ours is Escape The Fate's second album after losing their front man, Ronnie Radke. New Singer Craig Mabbit drags Escape the Fate into the ground. Monte Money's guitars in this album are decent but nothing special, except in the song "This War Is Ours (The Guillotine pt. 2)" which features a pretty nifty intro solo as well another solo in the middle and Robert Ortiz' drums are nothing to get excited about. The band failed in keeping any of their old sound present. Sure, I understand that a band needs to change their sound to keep up with the times, or that when they lose a band member sound is bound to change, but they changed their sound so dramatically that they completely lost the old Escape the Fate vibe.

The lyrics on "This war is Ours" have to be some of the worse lyrics I've ever heard. Deep, relatable lyrics and passionate singing is replaced by terrible lyrics which seem to be written by a 9 year old. The singing in the album is dreadful and completely lacks in feeling. Lyrics such as "Oh, they always told me I was gorgeous in a way, And that fateful day, I found who I was, So fill this hole with my prescriptions, I just keep feeding my addictions" are replaced with mainstream, unoriginal such as "Baby, don't talk to me, I'm trying to let go, Not loving you is harder than you know, Cause girl you're driving me so crazy". I will say Ronnie's lyrics were not the best, hardly above average, but at least they seem like time and effort were put into them. Lyrics that could be taken a few different ways are now lyrics that have one, "this is how it is" meaning, which makes the songs harder to relate to. It almost seems as though the band just wanted to get a new album out just to please the fans, and no real effort was put into it.

Escape the Fate has lost all the elements that made them Escape the Fate. They might as well go by a different name. This album is something that should be buried 6 feet under and forgotten about. The only song worth listening to is "This war is Ours (The Guillotine pt. 2)." The band is not going to be the next Motley Crue, they are not taking over the world, and this war is certainly not theirs.