Ungrateful review by Escape the Fate

• Released: May 14, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Escape the Fate: Ungrateful

So people may be wondering why I even bother reviewing an album that I, in fact, do not like at all. Well, folks, this is good practice on reviewing, and to be known to what to listen to and what to not listen to. This is the beauty in reviewing. While I can certainly bash this band by all means, I don't find that very necessary in my reviewing knowledge. And while I have in the past, let's just say they deserved it a bit more than these guys. ETF will certainly not please all crowds, but they still have a steady fanbase. And while the majority of this fanbase has taken the bandwagon on Ronnie Radke, and his boys in Falling In Reverse, they will still support ETF by all means necessary, no matter what. It's almost like a rivalry. I don't know, it seems childish, and lame if you ask me. It's bands like these that are bringing down the music scene today, only to be looked at as drama-infested tools. I won't put much hate towards ETF, and I do respect them not selling themselves out completely, nor talking trash like the dude Ronnie Radke does best. But that's not what I'm here to talk about, I'm here to talk about Escape The Fate's new album, "Ungrateful." Now, where to begin? Vocally, there is just so much negative in this area that it's honestly embarrassing for me to say. Singing has not changed whatsoever. It's still your typical Escape The Fate sound, whiny with no emotion whatsoever. And I've had this problem with Craig in the past. Hear this guy when he was in Blessthefall, it's still the same old sh-t, and he has not improved at all emotionally whatsoever. The screaming is not bad, but it tends to bore me sometimes. It's just a tad bit barbaric, in my opinion. Now, as for the rest of this band, they seem to be much more talented, for the most part. The guitar parts, I find to be overly generic, and very VERY predictable at times. You just know when a solo is about to appear, and I absolutely hate how simple they did this approach. Yet again they fall flat with this Bullet For My Valentine form to music. Also, way to f--king rip off the opening riff in Killswitch Engage's "Numbered Days" to your song "Until We Die." I just don't get it, it's overly boring how unoriginal this stuff is. "Picture Perfect" is almost like a song a group like The Ready Set or Breathe Carolina would write. Like dude, it's that poppy. The choruses are filled with poppy-esque monotone chessiness throughout this album, and the singing can be described as such in general. And I hate how the drumming is just going with the flow to the songs. And excuse me if I sound like I'm bashing this whole band, but f--k, these guys are just as good as that atrocious band, Black Veil Brides.

I really wish I could ignore this section, because it is really just that cringe-worthy. But hell, each section requires a minimum of 500 characters, so I must do as UG says. In the title track, the first stanza goes, "Trying to tear me apart, Breaking me down to the bone So listen closely, 'Cause what you don't see Is there's still blood inside this beating heart Still beating, Still breathing Falling from grace, You laugh in my face But you are the one who will leave with the beating With bleeding hands I fight for a life that's beat me down Stand up and scream while the rest of the world won't make a sound Rising again from the fire, A Phoenix alive and inspired You can't erase me, won't even phase me No one hears a f--king word you say." Wow, I think I have a headache from reading those lines, and it's not because I'm thinking too hard, but the near fact that it sounds like an angsty teenage girl writing how she feels. First of all, we obviously were laughing at your face because you write the some of the worst lyrics written to mankind... Maybe not... err... well... Okay, never mind. But yeah, that rhyming was just utterly terrible. Also I don't want to give credit to Asking Alexandria, but standing up and scream? Just no... And you don't sound cool when you swear, you sound bitchy. Here is another very, very well thought out lyrics (sarcasm) from "Until We Die," "Just like an animal Locked inside a cage I'm pushing back and forth Waiting with pace I can't escape We are the warriors Raising from the grave I will fight until nothing remains Nothing remains." While you may think that's not very bad, I just don't think he needs an explanation. It speaks for itself how basic the lyrics are. Now, to continue on to Craig's bitchiness, like it couldn't have gotten any worse, in "Forget About Me," this is when it's the worst. "I'm done with everyone I'm sick of everything I'm living on the blink of the God In a web of lies and deceit I've lost all sense of my reality Everyone is just a critic, a saint So judge me if you wanna but you won't destroy me This time let's get it started Dying on my knees Call me pathetic but I got good company I'm not alone Nothing to believe I'm just a loser Don't you try and save me now Kiss it all goodbye and forget about me." I will call you pathetic for dying on your knees because your lyrics are so damn cliche! Actually, okay I think this line is the worst of the worst on this album. In "You're Insane," "We started Broken hearted Falling apart at the seams Don't blame me For your problems You should fix yourself up Before you're gonna fix me Stand back as your world decays I can't explain why you're falling apart You need to find someone else to blame For the hurt and the pain I'm not the reason that you're insane Feels like I'm living in a madhouse With smoke and mirrors you see The devil in me shivers Every time that you breathe We're going mad Go take your pills and get out I don't understand what the f--k you're screaming about." Hold on, Craig. Are you meaning to tell me, when you got started with this supposed lady, you were already broken hearted? How does that happen. Wow, guess you read minds... Oh, and she's going to fix you? Well, that's nice... Hope she does it right, SINCE YOU CAN'T DO IT YOURSELF! And if you don't understand what she's screaming about, shouldn't you have asked? Now, I'm going to finish up lyrics section with once last song before my mind explodes. In "One For The Money" (I know, title is ironic. You can already tell), the chorus is where I question these group of guys making music that is so-called "post-hardcore" or "metalcore." Well, folks, it's 2013, and just about every single generic metalcore band has resorted to topics about sex, partying, and money. WHAT A F--KING SHAME. This chorus I can't even... "Cause it's one, it's one, one for the money Two, it's two gots too much for the show Three, it's three, three get ready, Are you ready motherf--kers? Are you ready? Let's go! [x2] Let me see you start a war, start a riot When there's nothing left to burn, hear the silence Hate me, you can't escape me and you ain't ever gonna change me I can't stand it, I've f--king had it, I'm about to blow."

Well, thankfully I made it all the way down to here without wanting to kill myself. *takes a deep breath* So, to sum this album up, let's just say this will appeal to the ETF fanbase, as nothing will cease to impress them with whatever these guys release. I do sense a Black Veil Brides and Bullet For My Valentine (mostly newer stuff) associated with these guys, so probably them too. And for sh-ts, and giggles, I think Hollywood Undead and Asking Alexandria would fit just right with these guys as well. Now... Here is the bottom line... I somehow was able to somewhat enjoy the album on first listen (excluding 2 tracks), and it's funny because after the 2nd listen to this album, I cannot say that there is any worthy material on this now. If anything, the title track rings somewhat of a tune, because it starts out the song with a scream, but that's not saying much. To be perfectly honest, this album is better than their past 2, and I'm not going to say anything about their debut because that one was with Ronnie on vocals, and well I hate comparing the two. This album is not groundbreaking. This album brings nothing new to the table. This album is a cliched massacre, which is part of the reason why metalcore/post-hardcore is looked down upon by most metalheads. This album is flatout boring, and quite honestly, I'd much rather listen to Emmure for one straight hour (I know, sounds ridiculous), than to listen to this album again. Wait... Even more ridiculous, I'd rather listen to All Time Low for 24 hours straight than to listen to this sh-t stain again. I'm glad I didn't buy it (yes, the crow on the album cover is quite cool though). Sorry UG, for the swearing.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

Faitout
    Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not a fan of the band or this album, but the review was excessively biased from the start and could do with some changes regarding that. Also, " but f--k", "way to f--king rip off", "WHAT A F--KING SHAME." and yet, later, you say "Just no... And you don't sound cool when you swear, you sound bitchy." Hmm...
    Morphogenesis26
    Yeah, this is a pretty poor review. The album is very bland and just copies bands that have already done this style to death, but I really don't think you should review albums that you obviously can't stand. It just ends up being a "hurr durr this is shitty and the people in the band are shitty and people who like it are shitty" hate fest. At least review an album you can respect in some sense of the word.
    noma92
    Daaaaamn, this review is sooooo cool, and sooooo unbiased ! Idk why do you review a record of a kind of music you hate... I'm not going to review an electro record, because I would say sh*t about it, clichs too... Honestly, this record is pretty cool, after the deceiving S/T (ps:god, the only terrible thing about this record is the artwork... your tastes are quite... original )
    N-D
    Hm, I think, of course, this record is not SO bad, but I like this crow on cover too (it's quite an interesting concept - crow on crown)
    noma92
    maybe the idea of a crow can be cool, but the drawing is awful :o
    vppark2
    ETF fanboy in the building...sorry I just haaaaaddd to hurt your feelings by this review...
    noma92
    I'm not a fanboy, I even hated the S/T the thing is that you're trying to make yourself interesting, but your review is not as cool as you think, boy.
    Did I say it was cool?
    fromzero
    I read this review without knowing how the music sound's, after reading the lyrics he was right. After watching the video's, he was right. This band is very mallcore, if you like that, awesome. It's just too basic, whining, poppy and predictable. Those are not very metal characteristics and the music isn't metal either.
    fromzero
    At least we don't have to live in fear that emo is dead. Any takers on a bleeding, infected ETF arm scar?
    pwdftw
    You're right, emo is not dead. Go listen to Joie De Vivre or Empire! Empire!
    EyesWideOpen
    It's hilarious how the reviewer is angrily gibbering away at everyone in the comments section.
    vppark2
    I think its hilarious how you havent provided any input on the album itself or my review, and yet take the time to comment.
    EyesWideOpen
    Why am I obliged to provide input on the album or review? I didn't realize those were the rules. It was just a short comment. It didn't take much time to type out to be honest.
    nickelder8888
    God that was a terrible, unprofessional, disturbingly redundant review lol. It didnt even try to be objective and it didnt provide any detail about the musical content, the band's context or production. The vocabulary was terrible too lol my little sister can write a better worded review. Its stuff like that makes me cringe ar the UG review section
    vppark2
    Didn't* it's* that*. Hate all you want fella, but I live in an Asian household. Don't expect my vocabulary to be top notch when I speak another language. Ignorant american.
    Faitout
    How the hell was he meant to know that?
    vppark2
    Doesnt make him have the right to call me out on friggin vocabulary. If you understand what the words Im saying, then I dont see the problem. English is the most difficult language in the world, ya know. Im not some vocabulary expert who uses different words all the time.
    noma92
    There is no easier language than english, man... try and learn French, and please explain to me how hard english is
    vppark2
    The thing with English is that there are many meanings for one word. Very confusing to those new to the language. Also, something like there, their, and they're def throws people off.
    noma92
    If you can't make the difference between those three words, it's that you already are lame in your native language And the critic wasn't about that
    vppark2
    "It didnt even try to be objective and it didnt provide any detail about the musical content, the band's context or production." Tell me how I wasnt being objective, and what was so wrong about the musical content? Explain, instead of bashing.
    noma92
    May I give you an advice, that some friend of mine told me, once upon a time ?! : "Explain, instead of bashing." I think he was talking about your review
    crazysam23_Atax
    Maybe because your review almost seemed like a personal attack on the band. I don't like ETF at all, but come on, man.
    Jimjambanx
    I agree with most people that this is a shit review, all he did was bitch about the album, and didn't actually review enough aspects. Having said that though it is a critically bad album, the lyrics and singing are generic, the riffs are generic, and there really isn't anything worth listening to. If you like the album then that's cool, but that doesn't make it a good album from a critic's point of view. As for Vppark2, if you say that this kind of review is good practice, then you got a lot of practicing to do.
    vppark2
    I still dont understand what the majority of people here are saying about how Im bitching about the album...Ive laid out the details. Ive said that the guitar riffs, the vocals, the lyrics are generic, and gave examples of how they did that. Am I missing something or are people just trying to take a hit at me?
    EyesWideOpen
    Stop playing the victim. You seriously need to learn how to handle criticism. If you just dismiss every negative thing anyone says about you then you'll never get much better at anything.
    Corandy
    Bad review. I don't like ETF at all, but the hate written in this article is very unprofessional. That the whole review is not written in CAPS is suprisely. But I agree with your opinion. I like that you compare it with the other bands because it means you know enough of the scene to judge about the creativity and musicianship. And yes they are all bad. Keep going! Only with a less hateful tone! PS: My english is very bad
    vppark2
    This opinion Im fine with. Didnt call me out on some bs like saying "My vocabulary is terrible. My little sister can write a better worded review. Its stuff like that makes me cringe ar the UG review section." If my vocabulary really sucks that much, then give me an example on how it does. Be helpful, not negative. Shit like "My little sister can write a better worded review. Its stuff like that makes me cringe ar the UG review section." puts the reviewer down completely. I took my time with this review. I deserve the respect.
    noma92
    Did you respect the months worth of work from ETF ? No. Should we respect your 7 max minutes of work about this review ? Not quite sure about this.
    vppark2
    Write your own review then instead of bitching.
    noma92
    No, because I haven't got the pretention to be a good reviewer You could record your own review too, we'd see if you would have that much success \o/
    Skyvalve2012
    And this is the reason I hate this kind of band. Cheesy, dumb, and too negative to count. I'm going to wash my ears out now.
    Tarsplitter
    The review was ok. The hate on the lyrics (which are pretty bad and generic) seemed really naive to me though.
    vppark2
    How is it naive to voice my opinion? You guys are giving the band too much credit.
    Tarsplitter
    It is not naive to voice your opinion. You just did it in a naive manner.
    vppark2
    Its called constructive criticism.
    noma92
    It would be constructive if you used more arguments and less "Well, thankfully I made it all the way down to here without wanting to kill myself. *takes a deep breath* " and sh*t
    its_minchew
    To be fair, the album is pretty bad and the lyrics are laughable. I kinda lost faith in them after the last album personally.
    RylanThePotato
    Didn't hate it as much as you vppark2 but I sure as hell didn't like it. Really hoping ETF and FIR die soon because their "band drama" makes the scene look so stupid and childish, plus I feel as though both bands use it to as a crutch to their musical creativity thus hindering their writing ability because they're too busy exchanging lyrical blows with each other.
    vppark2
    Thats what killed this album for me. Lyrical content is overly childish, and simple.
    Gerard Way Jr
    Mfw all the "no, this was not helpful" votes just because the rating was low. I felt it was well-written enough, even if I'm not too into the personal pronoun-having style. Anything 1-3, for me, is specifically reserved for horrendous albums, but it was more thorough than most review content on UG.
    vppark2
    Thanks bud, guess we have a lot of ETF fans on UG.
    Gerard Way Jr
    And that's fine, but it irritates me when the ratings system is abused like that. I'd rather see a hundred responsive overly positive reviews than four down votes. Seems more productive.
    vppark2
    Exactly. And to me, this review was accurate. Its def below average for me. Not the worst thing Ive heard of, but this is like BVB material, its pretty effin' bad, and theres a lot of things to call out for it.
    katalyzt13
    the score system with the review is the problem. I would like to see UG abolish the score system entirely. If I had scored the album I would say probably a 5 because it doesn't hurt my ears, it just doesn't catch my interest. vppark2, you do have a fairly negative tone for the entire review like you wrote the review for the single purpose of attacking the album, the members of the band, etc. -
    crazysam23_Atax
    ^ That. And that's why I say you need to moderate your tone, vppark2. It's not supposed to be personal. As a reviewer, one needs to be as impartial as possible.
    Mschlayer2
    .... you know the level of ignorance spewing from this review is that of a level 150 redneck right?... nevertheless I hope people don't read this review and think that you know what your talking about. and just in case your clueless as to why I say this here is a (small) list 1.) first paragraph, first sentence 2.) It's clear that you have a problem with craig mabbitt as a person and post-hardcore/metalcore/Metal! as a genre 3.) and the best example of your musical ignorance is where you critique "your insane'... listen carefully go find someone in your life that has problems and i mean real problems that you truly care about and tell me wtf their sceaming about... when you do you will know what i mean. TL;DR- this guys ignorance level is approaching critical mass, he has a few issues with the music/band/people/ and genre... in short just go listen to the album for yourself fellow UGer's the whole thing is available on youtube... dont listen to this guy Ps to the reviewer I dont care what your musical preferance is but dont try to dissuade others from this music simply because you do not like it...
    vppark2
    I'm not telling people to not listen to the album. By all means, they should! And find out for themselves if they like it or not. And that goes for any album. They don't need to agree with the reviewer. But yeah, that was honestly a near guess on You're Insane. I'll avoid writing stuff like that next time then. Lyrically, this album couldve been much better, however.
    crazysam23_Atax
    I agree it could have been much better. However, your critique of the lyrics was unprofessional. You projected way too much of your dislike of the band into the whole review. "Hold on, Craig. Are you meaning to tell me, when you got started with this supposed lady, you were already broken hearted? How does that happen. Wow, guess you read minds... Oh, and she's going to fix you? Well, that's nice... Hope she does it right, SINCE YOU CAN'T DO IT YOURSELF! And if you don't understand what she's screaming about, shouldn't you have asked? Now, I'm going to finish up lyrics section with once last song before my mind explodes. In "One For The Money" (I know, title is ironic. You can already tell), the chorus is where I question these group of guys making music that is so-called "post-hardcore" or "metalcore."" -- This whole thing just screams that you didn't even try to understand the lyrics. Not that the lyrics were that great in the 1st place, but you spent more time hating the lyrics than actually critiquing them in the manner of a music critic. If you'd said something like, "The lyrics, while emotionally compelling, are not very creative" and been concise and to the point, then that could have been professional.
    headbang123
    Damn. Harsh review. I don't think it was a terrible album but it's just boring. Shows absolutely no progression whatsoever. And Craigs a good vocalist in all honesty and he was great in Blessthefall. He just can't write very well. But Montey Money is the most overrated guitarist I've heard in a long time. But hey, it's not as bad as Falling In Reverse's new song...
    The Jet Lag Man
    I liked this album, his screaming got a little better, and the solos are pretty cool at times. Overall good record, nothing new but not a BAD CD.
    cbunnell44
    "This album is better than their previous 2 releases. That's not saying a lot however, because there is little to any progression from the band as musicians nor any real innovative improvements in the music. This album brings nothing new to the table. This album is a predictable and uninspired mess, which is part of the reason why metalcore/post-hardcore is looked down upon by most metalheads. If you're a fan of BVB or FiR you'll probably enjoy this, otherwise, you're probably better off not going out of your way to pick this up." edited your review for you ^_^
    NemX162
    The album sucked, but this was more of a rant than a well-formed review. There wasn't much talk about the actual music.
    samholmes96
    Hear no mention about the Monte brother's playing and how well they've progressed as guitarists. Brian's skill never ceases to amaze me. And to think this is a guitar site...
    DeadIdentity81
    Killer album and up there with my tops of 2013. Ppl can bash bands all they want through their reviews, I listen to music for me so other ppls words are just that.. WORDS!!
    robbie.thecloud
    he says that cursing make you sound bitchy....does you know he just cursed???
    vppark2
    Try to make sense next time when commenting buddy and maybe I'll listen.
    Faitout
    Didn't you just say that English is not your first language and called someone an 'ignorant american' for criticizing your language?
    Megdidar
    English is his first language unless they speak something else that I am unaware of in New Hampshire.
    vppark2
    I wasnt clear. I speak 2 languages in the house. My first language is English. My mom's is Thai, so we do speak Thai from time to time. My vocabulary, and wording is much like my moms though, just happens.
    nickelder8888
    i didnt make sense(?) english is my second language but i dont use that as an excuse for a bad review, and me cussing is fine as long as i'm not reviewing. Im not going to deal with trolling past this already useless statement. You are hating, and youre upset im calling you out for being unprofessional.
    vppark2
    Its much better than the majority of the reviews UG puts up. I at least went in depth, if its the tone thats really bothering people, then Im sorry, but its just the way I speak when I dont like the album.
    Skyvalve2012
    And scene kids, please leave this place. NOW.
    noma92
    any scene kid is more tolerant than you. any scene kid hates you, deeply and sincerely.
    Gerard Way Jr
    >more tolerant >hates deeply and sincerely the below statement is false the above statement is true
    Skyvalve2012
    I try to be tolerant toward most genres, but this utter ***** (well, you get the idea...)....i just can't. It's impossible to love a screamo band this bad.
    vppark2
    Yeah man, actually this is pretty screamo. I cant lump this into metalcore, and barely post-hardcore imo (like UG says up top). This is just watered down material. There is barely anything 'hardcore' about it other than unclean vocals. Much like Issues.
    Morphogenesis26
    It's none of the above. If you want a label for it then you can just call it bad Pop Rock that loves Bullet For My Valentine.
    Skyvalve2012
    Good. I'm glad they hate me then. I'm gonna leave, ok?
    vppark2
    Dude, love you brother. My review makes sense and ETF is nothing special. Think about it.
    J.Millzzzz
    I actually really enjoy their first album with Ronnie. but everything else Ronnie did sucks, and everything else they did sucks. its not creative WHAT SO EVER. its just. bleh. they could have wrote it in ten days. its almost as bad as the new sleeping with sirens
    nickelder8888
    I felt like this album was better than any others (maybe cuz max green is out of the picture) but not awesome in any means. Maybe they'll develop and grow... maybe not. Bottom line, new SWS stuff sounds pretty bad and its produced even worse :/
    vppark2
    Speaking of Sleeping With Sirens, I am going to review that album now that Ive listened to it full. It is bad.
    wolfy.demonston
    i think what ur doing is sorry and stupid i would like to see u tr to make a band and sing lets see how u woud feel if u were being msde fun of seriously grow the **** up yo etf is a good band in my opinion yes some songs may be boring but he puts meaning in them
    RocknRollRay
    vppark i think its interesting that u think this album is much worse than the garbage tesseract just put out. elitist much?
    vppark2
    Garbage? Dafuq you smoking? TesseracT is channels ahead of this band.
    crazysam23_Atax
    TesseracT is actually miles behind most bands that they aspire to be like. Their music isn't that revolutionary, yet they aspire to be prog metal (despite their last album not really even being metal). And their EPs before that were just...let's say they needed to work on being less interested in seeing how many rhythms they could do while neglecting the actual riffing. Most Djent bands basically practice badly done Meshuggah love. TesseracT's rhythm guitar work is no exception.
    vppark2
    I respect your opinion Sam. I think they still have years to go though, until we can really judge the band. I think that theyre a very talented band.
    RocknRollRay
    i think both what tesseract put out and this album are on the same level of mediocracy. to hell with sub genres, judge the songs for what they have.
    ferilyne
    I do hate this album with a passion, but this is written so insanely biased that it's laughable...