Ungrateful review by Escape the Fate

• Released: May 14, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Escape the Fate: Ungrateful

Like previous Escape The Fate albums with vocalist Craig Mabbitt, they have taken the heavier metalcore take on music from the previous post-hardcore days of Radke era Escape The Fate. Although each album has line up changes it seems this current lineup have been able to produce a solid 4th record. Unlike previous release this album is very vocal driven. Mabbitt hasn't changed his vocal style that much since previous releases, that said his screams sound clearer on this new release compared to "This War Is Ours." The instrumentals on this record aren't as impressive as previous releases with recycled riffs such as the verse in "Until We Die" has a similar riff to "This War Is Our (Guillotine Part 2)." It is able to change from metalcore to an older feel with songs such as "Chemical Love" with a late '90s-esque guitar tone. Overall it doesn't sound a fresh release at the start but develops as the album goes on, with the change in sound with "Picture Perfect" and "Risk It All."

The lyrics are pretty consistent, throughout taking similar themes from before. The opening track Ungrateful is a trip back to "This War Is Ours" with an internal and external battle theme running through it like in previous records.

"With bleeding hands, I fight for a life that beats me down
Stand up and scream while the rest of the world won't make a sound."

Lyrically this album is repetitive to the other releases with similar themes running throughout all the songs such as "Harder Than You Know" has a similar theme to picture perfect. It's not awful lyrically but not brilliant. That said, it does show of the different vocal styles Mabbitt is able to produce although he hasn't developed a lot since joining the band.

Overall this isn't a bad album it contains the diverse style Escape The Fate fans should be used to. It's matured a lot since the previous self titled release. I was impressed by "Chemical Love" and "You're Insane." Compared to previously releases it's a mix between the previous two released in an attempt to compile both styles into one album. Some tracks it is successful and as an album on the whole it is. I can't compare it to "Dying Is Your Latest Fashion" seeing the difference in vocal style and with how much the band has changed since then. Escape The Fate is better suited with Craig Mabbitt his vocals fits the instrumentals perfectly which is what keeps this band sounding fresh. If I lost this I would buy it again I feel it's worth the money. I've been sitting on this album for about a year now and after listening from time to time, it is listenable on most days catering for most moods. Naturally most metal fans won't enjoy this, slam it. It's worth trying to listen to and at least it's better than what Radke's doing now.