Mother Tree review by Eulen

• Released: Oct 5, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Eulen: Mother Tree

"Mother Tree" is raw, dark and emotional and is an excellent example of an independent, self-produced Doom/Prog Metal album. Eulen are made up of Typhon and Seth, a couple of guys in Syria and they've just announced on their Facebook page that they are releasing the whole album on MediaFire as well it's definitely worth checking out. Eulen have added acoustic and symphonic elements to the traditional doom sound, which gives an interesting layer to the morbid ambience permeating "Mother Tree". Some of the guitar-work may sound a little bit exotic to Westernized ears, but it's hardly world music. Really, it's just good doom.

The lyrics are, as you should expect, filled with sorrow, horror and woe. The following lines are from "Graveroom": "Thousand times I stayed alive, Killed my heart, slayed my God, Blood was spilled to erase the right, When all else is still a lie." The poetry within the lyrics heightens the dark and bleak atmosphere if you care to read the album artwork. They're pretty hard to understand on a single listen through, though like any good metal is! The vocals are often layered with a deep death growl beneath a black metal screech or whisper, which creates another interesting, echoing effect.

Eulen has added a lot of variety to their base of blast-beats, harsh vocals, tremolo riffs, melancholic progressions and grief-filled solos. "This Old Hearth" is pretty much an acoustic piece using a forced, echoey whisper for vocals. Dunes uses synthesizers and piano for some of its riffing, and "Clouds" is an epic 16 minute journey. The first track, "A Cold New Day" is an instrumental that's fairly forgettable, but it's also the shortest song. On the other hand, "Graveroom" stands out as a heavy, crushing, grief-filled piece. It must be the tremolo riffing, monstrous gain and layering of vocals that bring forth the darkness. There's a pretty awesome solo in there as well. Combined with the relentless beat and riffs, it's way more than what I was expecting "Mother Tree" may not be as polished as Ahab's "Divinity Of Oceans", but if you're into that then this album would be a welcome addition to your playlist. "Mother Tree" is actually one of those few albums that I can listen to start to finish without feeling the need to skip so I thoroughly recommend it.

EpiExplorer
    The vocals are really badly mixed, but doesn't sound too bad, sort of a cross between 90's Emperor and the dreamy post-black stuff.