Here Anonymous Review

Eulogies: Here Anonymous
Released: Apr 7, 2009
Genre: Indie rock
Label: Dangerbird
The Eulogies album is best appreciated by ears that enjoy reveling in folk-pop atmospherics. Here Anonymous is an album that needs to be savored as a whole. No one song is a quick fix here.
 5.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Here Anonymous Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on april 07, 2009

Sound: Tunes that you can hum along to and feel connected to because they act as a catalyst to stir feelings that you keep locked up inside is what the Eulogies create using ambient folk-pop coordinates. The quartet's latest release, Here Anonymous has the catchy melodic-folk grooves of Sweden's Shout Out Louds with spires of gently twirling effects emblematic of Voxtrot and dreamy folk atmospherics liken to Death Cab For Cutie. The tracks roll into each other like they were made from the same swathe of cloth. Lead vocalist Peter Walker has a register fraught with calming intonations as band members Chris Reynolds on drums, Drew Phillips on guitar, and Garrett Deloian on bass create malleable swells and gently parachuting slides. Tracks like Day To Day and Eyes On The Prize seep into your veins, while the dreamy atmospherics of How To Be Alone and Stranger Calliope make you feel like floating. The album's transcendental quality is palpable in the music as well as in the lyrics, embracing human thoughts as if they are the accelerant that spurs one's actions. The sedate feel of the music makes the album seem sparse, though the meanings behind the words make the tracks feel very heavy. The hypnotic rhythmic strokes are calming, and the low-lit flames of the guitar strums cause the melodies stretch out and feel comfortable. The wiring of psychedelic spirals moving across A Dark Place is the one exception to the Eulogies rule, and takes the album outside of the band's folk-pop leanings and into a surreal world saturated in dark ambient slashes. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are about mundane, everyday thoughts that guide human behavioral patterns like in Eyes On The Prize when Walker chronicles, I'll keep moving until I can't move / I've left everyone behind / I'll turn the music up so I can't hear / All the voices from inside / Got my eyes on the prize / Gonna keep it, keep it right here You can never know the things I do / Never see the places that you drove me to / Or know I went there on my own. The lyrics sound like verses taken from a private diary like in Bad Connection when Walker reflects, I'll find my feet and I'll walk away from here Wide awake and clear And like a bad connection I wanna fix / I'll turn my life around to make out ends meet. // 7

Overall Impression: The Eulogies album is best appreciated by ears that enjoy reveling in folk-pop atmospherics. The band's melodic sensibilities have the fluency of Shout Out Louds with a catchy versing relatable to Death Cab For Cutie. Here Anonymous is an album that needs to be savored as a whole. No one song is a quick fix here. Everything has relevance, similarly to a private diary where some chapters might seem more interesting than others, but each chapter moves the story along and has relevance to the whole making each song another piece to the jigsaw puzzle. The music stays within a specified comfort zone for the band, and any risk-taking is strictly reserved for the lyrics, which gives the album a purpose and enables the songs to relate to their audience. // 7

Comments