Start From The Dark Review

Genre: Heavy Metal
Label: Sanctuary Records
review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Start From The Dark Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on september 25, 2013

Sound: This is not the Hair Metal band, who had a big hit in 1986, with the song "The Final Countdown." Well, okay, it's the same band, but if I told you that before you looked them up on Wikipedia, you probably wouldn't believe me, however, it's the truth. Don't feel bad, I almost didn't believe it either. I got this CD, because, I thought I knew a couple of the songs that were on it, though I actually didn't know anything about this album. I didn't even know Europe had reunited! I'm glad I know now, as this is quite the surprise. // 9

Lyrics: This is a Heavy Metal album, but the lyrics don't really sound like they belong on a Metal album. That's okay though, as, unlike a lot of modern Metal singers, Joey Tempest isn't screaming his brains out in an unintelligible blur of noise. The instruments all seem oddly synchronized in chaos and I mean that in a good way. Not everyone who liked Europe in the 1980's will like them now, but this is a very interesting album, so, I would recommend it to anyone who thinks Heavy Metal, or Rock for that matter, has become bland. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is weird. I think it's a really excellent album, but it's still weird. I have to say, this is definitely NOT what I would expect, if I heard that Europe had reunited. In fact, this is actually quite a bit better than what I would expect. Not all Hair Metal, or Heavy Metal fans will enjoy it, but it's worth a listen, regardless of what you might think after hearing a couple songs. The point is, it's not perfect, but at the same time, it's not terrible. It's a good, solid, respectable comeback album. // 8

Comments