The Final Countdown review by Europe

• Released: May 26, 1986
Europe: The Final Countdown

I got this album a few years ago, for two reasons. Number one: I was obsessed with the title track. Number two: It was only 5.99 and had bonus live tracks! I really wish I'd known about this excellent band sooner than that, as they have a lot of better songs nobody but the super 1980's fanatics would be aware of. "The Final Countdown" is one of the best examples of high quality Glam Metal, with all the things that made that genre awesome and continue to do so. Epic guitar riffs, great choruses and the like. Oh, I probably should have mentioned that it sounds amazing to turn your stereo up to just under the point where you get feedback, because then, you can hear the whole intro to the title track, even the part before the countdown starts.

I can't say much about the lyrics that nobody reading this wouldn't guess. It's glam metal, so they're singing about being happy and free, love, stuff in that vein of thought. Kind of 1980's version of hippie music. The music itself is just spectacular. John Norum is an underrated guitarist. Everybody else does a great job too, but I wanted to point out the guitar work because I have seen a DVD of a show, that had Kee Marcello instead of John Norum and I'm sorry, he was like a soulless puppet... It was weird.

Well, I have heard some of the newer material Europe has been putting out and it's good, but this is still my favorite album by them. Every song on here is at least good, but there are a few great songs. "Rock the Night," "Heart of Stone," "Love Chaser," "Time Has Come" are my personal picks for the best tracks on here. I really didn't care for "Cherokee," it felt out of place, sort of the band were intentionally parodying Iron Maiden and "Run to the Hills." Also, the live tracks were pretty unnecessary, mainly because they don't seem to be the best examples of Europe's live performance quality, but I'm not saying that they're bad.

daken_1
    Wow the album is sooo good that I could listen to it back in the 80s! Someone might wanna change the release date haha
    N3WW4V3N1NJ4
    Sorry about that, but I'm not in control of the information submitted. I just write the review.
    Way Cool JR.
    This is such a great album. I'm still rockin my cassette tape of this I got back in '86. I think it may be time to finally get it on CD lol. Europe is such a great band.
    DexterF
    First record I ever bought. On vinyl. When it came out. Really good, underrated rock band, they deliver but never got rid of that hairmetal stigma. New wave ninja is a bit wrong about the lyrics, though
    N3WW4V3N1NJ4
    Well, it's pretty much songs about love and rock and roll in one form or another. It just reminds me of hippie music. And, compared to Megadeth or something like that, this is hippie music lol,