Anywhere But Home [DVD] review by Evanescence

• Released: Nov 23, 2004
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 7
Evanescence: Anywhere But Home [DVD]

Evanescence have gained a huge fanbase all round the world since releasing their multi-million selling debut "Fallen" in 2003. Singer Amy Lee has become an idol for the girls and a pin-up for the boys with her 2-year stint of classical training of her voice and stage presence lessons and it truly has paid off for the 23-year old. "Anywhere But Home" is a two-disc affair, the concert shot live at The Zenith in Paris where Muse filmed their "Hullabaloo" DVD in 2004. There is also a CD with an unreleased track in the form of "Missing" which shows Evanescence at their most spine-chilling.

Content — 9
The set list of the concert consists of the entirety of "Fallen," with a piano-led cover of KoRn's "Thoughtless" thrown in somewhere in the middle of the gig. However, whilst watching the concert, I remember thinking that that cover was only one of the few best things about the concert. The other standout songs were "Everybody's Fool" and "My Last Breath" but other than that, you could barely hear Amy's voice above the PA. Either that or there has been some kind of suspicious engineering going on behind the scenes. A real disappointment. Thankfully, there is some extra stuff on the DVD, like a behind-the-scenes look at what the band really get up to, which will have you in stitches. You'll see Amy dress up as a gorilla and attacking then boyfriend Shaun Morgan of Seether onstage in Evanescence's homeground of Little Rock, Arkansas, on their last night of touring for example. You'll also see technical and non-technical bloopers, and general arseing around (literally).

Production Quality — 7
The DVD menu, I think, is actually a bit overdone. They should have just cut down on the graphics and made it a bit more simpler. You have to wait slightly longer than needed before the separate menus come up and they also have flashing images of the band, which is bad for people with epilepsy and simply completely unnecessary.

Overall, I would recommend it to all serious Evanescence fans, but not for those who just, for example, like a couple of songs. It was a fantastic stocking filler for me when I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and it certainly will be for the most crazy/serious of Evanescence fans. It'll also do until Evanescence release their new album sometime this year.