Fallen review by Evanescence

• Released: Mar 4, 2003
Evanescence: Fallen

The neo-gothic background effects and the inclusion of choir and strings on many of the tracks couple with Amy's beautiful voice to create the most chilling atmosphere imaginable on this, Evanescence's major label debut. A lot of people will label this as commercial pop-metal, but it's so much more than that. The description of haunting guitar solos mixed with powerful riffs just doesn't do it justice. There is no way in the world, for example, you could seriously compare much of this album with, say, Limp Bizkit. It's thoughtful and well-structured, every lyric sticking in the mind and every beat pounding from your stereo. I've heard many descriptions of their sound, ranging from nu-metal to metal, from grunge to pop. And yes, it's all of these, but at the same time, none. The female voice is what sets it apart, the fact that the songs mean something is also very refreshing and, although not uniquee, it's all beautifully written.

The lyrics are what first drew me to Evanescence. Apart feom the catchy, yet powerful guitar riffs, the lyrics are what helps Amy Lee's wandering voice to sound so good. It keeps being said that theyre a Christian band. This IS NOT true. Ben, who I believe has now left the band, is a strong Christian, but Amy isn't. The lyrics are about personal struggles, love and death. Amy is one of the most underrated lyricists of the modern age, and this album really shows how good these lyrics can match her voice. The lyrics are in no way simple, nor do they rhyme. They are easily-related to, yet complex and mature.

Like millions of other people, I was one of those who first heard of Evanescence on the opening night of the "Daredevil" movie. I walked out of the cinema and all I could really remember from the film was that clip with Elektra using the daggers on the sanbags, with this song played to great effect over the top - one of the defining moments of the film. Now, I'm not usually into stuff like this, this is my second choice form of music, if you will, but since then, I downloaded the song and a couple of others, then got the album imported from America. I was amazed at the quality. Even after the extensive radio playing of "Bring Me To Life", I can never grow tired of that song. Other faves are "Going Under", "Haunted", "Tourniquet", "My Immortal" (proving that they can be quiet as well as loud...this song was also featured in "Daredevil") and "Whisper", but every track has strong listening appeal. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone. Sadly, I know people who don't usually like rock who have this album, which again puts forward the "sellout" case. Frankly, I don't care though. It rocks, and that's all you need to know.