Fallen review by Evanescence

• Released: Mar 4, 2003
Evanescence: Fallen

Amy Lee has an amazing voice. Ben Moody is very good on the guitar. with the exception of the bridge to "Bring Me to Life" the bass does not really stand out at all; it's mostly masked by the guitar. Overall, the drums are just above average, but they back up the guitars and vocals well and provide their own main contributions, such as in "Going Under." Transitions between the songs are awesome, especially between "Tourniquet" and "Imaginary." The orchestra used in the background was awesome as well, as was the choir that backs up Amy in several songs.

The lyrics are my lowest-rated part of the album, mainly because of the impression that whoever wrote the lyrics was depressed at the time. There were, however, instances in several songs where Amy was basically calling out to God for help, but there were no songs that really followed up that by talking about how that call was answered. maybe that can be a focus of their next album.

Compared to other artists of today; Evanescence is clearly one of the better bands out. Half the bands out today all sound the same to me; and having a female singer as well as piano and orchestra puts them in a league of their own. Main complaint from the standpoint of a guitarist trying to play some of their songs is that they use some wierd tuning in some of their songs like "Going Under" and "Haunted." If someone were to steal my CD, there would be a serious whupping handed out. Overall, this is an awesome CD and was definately worth the $13.99 I paid for it.