Fallen review by Evanescence

• Released: Mar 4, 2003
Evanescence: Fallen

When I first heard Evanescence, it was back in 2000. After a death in my family I went looking for depressing songs on the internet and I came across 'My Immortal'. After that I was hooked on finding out more about this band, but living in Australia made it difficult to find anything about them. Then 2003 came and along with it, the debut album from that band that sings 'My Immortal'. That band? Evanescence! 'Bring Me To Life' just blew me away. It was unlike anything I'd ever heard, with crunching guitars, haunting piano, mournful strings and an angelic voice soaring over the top. Believe me, I was first in line to buy 'Fallen' when it came out. And it didn't disappoint me - heavy guitars, thick drums, bass that could actaully be heard, piano that make you cry, an orchestra to die for, a choir to make you think you're back in a 17th century abbess and vocals that will send shivers down your spine.

Amy Lee's voice is absolutely amazing nad by far the best voice I have ever heard, and her lyrics don't disappoint. 01. Going Under - "Now I will tell you what I've done for you, fifty thousand tears I've cried..." A song about escaping from an abusive relationship; refusing to be broken by this man and promising to live again. A strong song, with a solid guitar riff and catchy chorus. The second single. 02. Bring Me To Life - "How can you see into my eyes like open doors..." About waking up and realising the lie that you have been living, and pleading to be saved from the life that you created but hate. The music for this song is very complex, with a simple guitar riff but intricate piano and string sections. The first single. 03. Everybody's Fool - "Without the mask where will you hide, can't find yourself lost in your lies..." About all the fakes in the world, people who hide behind facades and pretend to be something there not, just to make money; people who sell themselves or an image to make a profit. Starting with an acoustic intro, then breaking into a solid rock song, backed by a choir and piano. The fourth single. 04. My Immortal - "You used to captivate me by your resonating light, now I'm bound by the life you left behind..." Losing someone you love and begging their spirit to leave you alone. Amy Lee actually didn't write these lyrics, apart from the bridge. They were written by former guitarist Ben Moody, who prefers to write from inspiration rather than experience, but Amy makes this song her own with the passion she puts into every word she sings. A piano ballad with a soft string section, later pressings of the album also contain the 'band version', which was released as the band's third single, which has a piano build-up during the bridge to crash out with the band playing for the last 90 seconds of the song. 05. Haunted - "Long lost words whisper slowly to me, still can't find what keeps me here..." One of my favourite songs on the album, fans are led to believe Amy wrote the lyrics based off a short story. Personally, I think it's written about something else, but I won't go into detail about it. The music is amazing, with heavy drums, a slighty above average guitar solo (personally, I prefer Terry's live solo for this), thick choir and pounding bass, topped off by Amy's amazing vocals. 06. Tourniquet - "I lay dying and I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal..." The only other song Amy didn't write all the lyrics to, this song was actually written by drummer Rocky Gray and performed by his band Soul Embraced. It was then re-written for 'Fallen' with Amy making most of the changes including adding lyrics and writing strings for it. It has a catchy riff and you can actually hear Amy do a death metal-esque scream towards the end. "I long to die!" 07. Imaginary - "In my field of paper flowers, and candy clouds of lullaby..." About escaping reality in to a dream world and praying to dreams to be come reality. Once again, heavy guitars backed up by pounding drums, heavenly choir, thick strings and angelic vocals. 08. Taking Over Me - "You don't remember me, but I remember you..." Lyrically, I think this is one of the best songs on the album. About loving someone that doesn't eve know you exist, the music is pretty simple with a simple guitar riff, typical rock drumming backed up by piano and strings. 09. Hello - "Has no one told you she's not breathing..." If you want hear Amy's voice at it's best, this is the song to listen to. If you want to cry, this is the song to listen to. Written about her deceased sister, Amy pours her heart and soul into every single word and note in this song, leaving you reaching for the Kleenex. It's by far one of my favourite Evanescence songs, with just Amy, a piano and a cello. If you manage to get ahold of the demo version of this track, you can actually hear Amy crying. 10. My Last Breath - "Holding my last breath, safe inside myself, are all my thoughts of you, sweet raptured light, it ends here tonight..." Probably the most underrated song, it's about dying in the arms of the person you love and being ready to leave this world, but they are not ready to lose you. I actually really love the melody for this track. 11. Whisper - "Catch me as I fall, say you're here and it's all over now..." Inspired by the 1996 version of Romeo & Juliet, this song is an Evanescence fan favourite, with amazing lyrics, a catchy guitar riff and a latin choir chant that makes you feel as if you are standing in the middle of a 16th century church in Rome.

All in all, this album is amazing and Amy Lee will blow you away with her heavenly, angelic vocals and the ability to make her vocals soar over the guitars, bass, piano, strings and choir. Evanescence is often compared to bands like Within Temptation, Nightwish and Lacuna Coil, but personally I don't see it. I am a fan of Within Temptation and they are two completely different bands. As for the other two, well I'm not a huge fan. My favourite songs from this album are 'Haunted' and 'Hello' followed closely by 'Bring Me To Life' and 'My Last Breath'. I already own two copies and if either were lost or stolen, then hell yes I would buy another copy!

RainbowBassist
    I really love evanescence. Fave band. cant wait for the new album their music really relates to me, and the vocals are amazing! i want to steal her voice o.o the guitar wasnt that great, but amy lee made up for it completly.
    Happy Taco :D
    Yeah... I am really strting to hate this disc, I know its getting old but people around here still play the hell out of it (Like my sister who ****ing idolizes the fact that Amy is a chick and can be in a "Metal"... "Pop/Rock" band). Not only is this disc super depressing, but the guitar isn't all it's cracked up to be. And also I am really dobting if Amy can even sing, I saw a video of her and Shaun (that guy from Seether see was dating) they were singing together and both were horrible... like I wanna rub dog shit in my ear bad. But maybe they had some amp problems... Anyways, Lacuna Coil beats these guys hard. They have a hotter chick in their band and the songs aren;t super dooper depressing.
    MrMDogg
    This is a great album. Awesome riffs and meaningful lyrics. Rock On!